Total factor productivity and signal noise volatility in an incomplete information setting
Imperfection information models where agents solve some kind of signal extraction problem are multiplying and developing fast. They have commonly been used to study the impact of imperfect information on the business cycle and the importance of news versus noise shocks. This paper attempts to apply the framework to a di¤erent, albeit related, question: that of the e¤ect of volatility (both in news and noise) on the economy, from a long and short run perspective. An RBC model where the agent faces imperfect information regarding productivity is developed and calibrated in order to address the question, coming to the conclusion that the long run e¤ect is insigni cant while further development is required to address the short run conclusively.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 427-6250 ext. 3841
Web page: http://www.bcrp.gob.pe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Lorenzoni, 2009.
"A Theory of Demand Shocks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2050-84, December.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jean-Paul L'Huillier & Guido Lorenzoni, 2009.
"News, Noise, and Fluctuations: An Empirical Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
15015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jean-Paul L'Huillier & Guido Lorenzoni, 2013. "News, Noise, and Fluctuations: An Empirical Exploration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(7), pages 3045-70, December.
- Jean-Paul L'Huillier & Guido Lorenzoni & Olivier Blanchard, 2011. "News, Noise, and Fluctuations: An Empirical Exploration," 2011 Meeting Papers 969, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jean-Paul L'Huillier & Guido Lorenzoni & Olivier J. Blanchard, 2009. "News, Noise and Fluctuations: An Empirical Exploration," 2009 Meeting Papers 99, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jean-Paul L’Huillier & Guido Lorenzoni, 2012. "News, Noise, and Fluctuations: An Empirical Exploration," Development Research Working Paper Series 09/2012, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris & Smets, Frank, 2010.
"Imperfect information and the business cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2010-014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Unit)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Research Unit to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.