Attitudes towards foreign products and welfare with capital mobility
We develop a model of trade with imperfect competition to study the welfare implications in developing and developed countries of the asymmetry in attitudes towards foreign products. In the developed country, consumers benefit from a better perception of foreign products while the rental rate of capital declines as long as the location of capital remains unchanged. However, when capital is mobile, the developing country hosts more and more capital at the expense of the developed country as perception of varieties produced in the developed country improves and the surplus of consumers in the developed country can decrease.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verlegh, Peeter W. J. & Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E. M., 1999. "A review and meta-analysis of country-of-origin research," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 521-546, October.
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Papageorgiou, Yorgo & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1985.
"On existence and stability of spatial equilibria and steady-states,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 149-158, June.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Yorgo Papageorgiou & Jacques-François Thisse, 1985. "On existence and stability of spatial equilibria and steady-states," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/99282, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Matthieu Crozet & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2004.
"Trade Performances, Product Quality Perceptions, and the Estimation of Trade Price Elasticities,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 108-129, 02.
- Matthieu Crozet & Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 2004. "Trade performances, product quality perceptions and the estimation of trade price-elasticities," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096826, HAL.
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2003.
"Agglomeration and economic geography,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 1999.
"Agglomeration and trade revisited,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1999041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-FranÁois Thisse, 2002. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 409-436, May.
- Gianmarco Ottaviano & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-Francois Tissse, 1999. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-65, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1998. "Agglomeration and Trade Revisited," CEPR Discussion Papers 1903, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1998. "Immigration and Trade Creation: Econometric Evidence from Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 47-62, February.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, June.
- Gilles Grolleau & Tarik Lakhal & Naoufel Mzoughi, 2004. "Does Ethical Activism Lead to Firm Relocation?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 387-402, 08.
- D. Neven & G. Norman & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 1991. "Attitudes toward Foreign Products and International Price Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(1), pages 1-11, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:200906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.