Genetic Algorithm Optimisation for Finance and Investments
This paper provides an introduction to the use of genetic algorithms for financial optimisation. The aim is to give the reader a basic understanding of the computational aspects of these algorithms and how they can be applied to decision making in finance and investment. Genetic algorithms are especially suitable for complex problems characterised by large solution spaces, multiple optima, nondifferentiability of the objective function, and other irregular features. The mechanics of constructing and using a genetic algorithm for optimisation are illustrated through a simple example.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher J. Neely & Paul A. Weller, 2011. "Technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Working Papers 2011-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hinich, Melvin J & Patterson, Douglas M, 1985. "Evidence of Nonlinearity in Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 69-77, January.
- L. Ingber, 1989. "Very fast simulated re-annealing," Lester Ingber Papers 89vf, Lester Ingber.
- L. Ingber, 1996. "Statistical mechanics of nonlinear nonequilibrium financial markets: Applications to optimized trading," Lester Ingber Papers 96nf, Lester Ingber.
- Dorsey, Robert E & Mayer, Walter J, 1995.
"Genetic Algorithms for Estimation Problems with Multiple Optima, Nondifferentiability, and Other Irregular Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 53-66, January.
- Michael B. Gordy, "undated". "GA.M: A Matlab routine for function maximization using a Genetic Algorithm," Matlab codes ga, , revised 12 Feb 1996.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.