An empirical analysis of the impact of external borrowing on economic performance of Nigeria
The study, which relied on secondary data, investigated the relationship between foreign borrowing and economics growth in Nigeria. The study employed both the quantitative and qualitative methods in analysing the data. This is a major gap the study filled up amidst existing literature as it adopted its own structural and working equation models peculiar to growth and development in Nigerian economy. The study adopted Ordinary Least Square (OLS) method, Augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) Unit Root test, Johansen Co-integration test and Error Correction Method (ECM). The estimation technique follows a three-step modelling procedure. The estimates indicate that there is an overall; a long run relationship exists among the variables. Conclusively, the result shows that external debt burden is an important factor indicator that influences the level of economic activities in Nigeria.
|Date of creation:||28 Nov 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Eaton & Mark Gersovitz, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Toan Quoc Nguyen & Benedict J. Clements & Rina Bhattacharya, 2003. "External Debt, Public Investment, and Growth in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/249, International Monetary Fund.
- Were, Maureen, 2001. "The Impact of External Debt on Economic Growth in Kenya: An Empirical Assessment," WIDER Working Paper Series 116, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Osinubi, T.S. & Olaleru, O.E., 2006. "Budget Deficits, External Debt And Economic Growth In Nigeria," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(3). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:68108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.