Local advertising externalities and cooperation in one manufacturer-two retailers channel
In this paper, we consider a static model for advertising strategies and pricing decisions in supply chain with one monopolistic manufacturer and two duopolistic retailers. We assume an additive form of the consumer demand which is influenced by retail price and advertising. The manufacturer sets the wholesale price, invests in advertising (at national level) and offers cooperative advertising to boost the advertising expenditures of their retailers. The retailers set the retail price and invest in advertising (at local level). By means of game theory, we discuss three different relationships between the supply chain members: two non cooperative games including the Stackelberg – Cournot and the Stackelberg – Collusion and one cooperative game. The comparison between the three models reveals that the advertising, the pricing, the consumer demand and the profits are affected by various relationships. Furthermore, under the cooperation situation, we propose a channel coordination mechanism through a manufacturer’s participation rate in retailers’ local advertising cost and wholesale price by using utility function.
|Date of creation:||08 Mar 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yue, Jinfeng & Austin, Jill & Wang, Min-Chiang & Huang, Zhimin, 2006. "Coordination of cooperative advertising in a two-level supply chain when manufacturer offers discount," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 65-85, January.
- Slim Ben Youssef, 2013.
"National Advertising and Cooperation in a Manufacturer-Two Retailers Channel,"
International Review of Management and Marketing,
Econjournals, vol. 3(2), pages 75-85.
- Ben Youssef, Slim & Dridi, Dhouha, 2011. "National advertising and cooperation in a manufacturer-two-retailers channel," MPRA Paper 35016, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aust, Gerhard & Buscher, Udo, 2014. "Cooperative advertising models in supply chain management: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 1-14.
- Zhang, Juan & Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin, 2013. "Supply chain coordination through cooperative advertising with reference price effect," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 345-353.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Matthew Nagler, 2006. "An exploratory analysis of the determinants of cooperative advertising participation rates," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 91-102, April.
- Sang Yong Kim & Richard Staelin, 1999. "Manufacturer Allowances and Retailer Pass-Through Rates in a Competitive Environment," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 59-76.
- S. Chan Choi, 1991. "Price Competition in a Channel Structure with a Common Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 271-296.
- SeyedEsfahani, Mir Mehdi & Biazaran, Maryam & Gharakhani, Mohsen, 2011. "A game theoretic approach to coordinate pricing and vertical co-op advertising in manufacturer-retailer supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 263-273, June.
- Rajiv Lal, 1990. "Improving Channel Coordination Through Franchising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(4), pages 299-318.
- Xie, Jinxing & Wei, Jerry C., 2009. "Coordinating advertising and pricing in a manufacturer-retailer channel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 785-791, September.
- Karray, Salma, 2013. "Periodicity of pricing and marketing efforts in a distribution channel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(3), pages 635-647.
- Karray, Salma & Zaccour, Georges, 2006. "Could co-op advertising be a manufacturer's counterstrategy to store brands?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 1008-1015, September.
- Jørgensen, Steffen & Zaccour, Georges, 2014. "A survey of game-theoretic models of cooperative advertising," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(1), pages 1-14.
- Xie, Jinxing & Ai, Song, 2006. "A note on "Cooperative advertising, game theory and manufacturer-retailer supply chains"," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 501-504, October.
- Li, Susan X. & Huang, Zhimin & Zhu, Joe & Chau, Patrick Y. K., 2002. "Cooperative advertising, game theory and manufacturer-retailer supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 347-357, October.
- Huang, Zhimin & Li, Susan X., 2001. "Co-op advertising models in manufacturer-retailer supply chains: A game theory approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 527-544, December.
- Szmerekovsky, Joseph G. & Zhang, Jiang, 2009. "Pricing and two-tier advertising with one manufacturer and one retailer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 904-917, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:62705. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.