The Demand Driven and the Supply-Sided Input-Output Models. Notes for the debate
The demand-driven version of the open Input-Output model determines production as a function of final demand, given the production technology. On the contrary, in the supply-sided version, value added determines output and producers must induce sales in order to achieve a desired level of income. This latter version of the model has been criticised and even rejected on the bases of its implausibility, its difficult interpretation and its bizarre implications. This paper argues however that the logic of the supply-side model is not mathematically at odds with Leontief’s arguments. Rejection of the model is a matter of theoretical interpretation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller,Ronald E. & Blair,Peter D., 2009. "Input-Output Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521517133, March.
- Miller,Ronald E. & Blair,Peter D., 2009. "Input-Output Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521739023, March.
- Prem S. Laumas, 1976. "The Weighting Problem in Testing the Linkage Hypothesis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(2), pages 308-312.
- F Giarratani, 1976. "Application of an Interindustry Supply Model to Energy Issues," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 8(4), pages 447-454, June.
- Hazari, Bharat R, 1970. "Empirical Identification of Key Sectors in the Indian Economy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(3), pages 301-305, August.
- F Giarratani, 1976. "Application of an interindustry supply model to energy issues," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 8(4), pages 447-454, April.
- Louis de Mesnard, 2009.
"Is The Ghosh Model Interesting?,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 361-372.
- Bon, Ranko, 1986. "Comparative stability analysis of demand-side and supply-side input-output models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 231-235.
- Leroy P. Jones, 1976. "The Measurement of Hirschmanian Linkages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(2), pages 323-333. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:61132. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.