The Economic Impact of the Green Certificate Market through the Macro Multiplier Approach
In the last decade, as many other European countries, the Italian Government adopted several reforms in order to increase the use of Renewable Energy Sources (RES). The liberalization of the electricity market that represents one of these reforms aims to reach environmental benefits from the substitution of fossil fuel with renewable sources. The Italian Green Certificate market was introduced in 2002 in order to accomplish this objective and represents a mechanism where a quota of renewable electricity is imposed to suppliers in proportion to their sales. The electricity industries are obliged to meet this condition by producing the quantity of renewable electricity by means of a change in their production process, otherwise they must buy a number of certificates corresponding to the quota. This mechanism changes the importance of the electricity industry first in promoting climate protection, then in terms of the impact on the economy as a whole. A policy aimed to develop the market of green certificates may lead to environmental improvement by switching the energy production process to renewable resources. But above all an increase in demand for green certificates, resulting from a reform on the quota of renewable electricity, can generate positive change in all components of the industrial production. For this purpose, the paper aims to quantify the economic impact of a reform on Green Certificate market for the Italian system by means of the Macro Multiplier (MM) approach. The analysis is performed through the Hybrid Input-Output (I-O) model that allows expressing the energy ows in physical terms (GWh) while all other ows are expressed in monetary terms (€). Moreover, through the singular value decomposition of the inverse matrix of the model, which reveals the set of key structures of the exogenous change of final demand, we identify the appropriate key structure able to obtain both the expected positive total output change and the increase of electricity production from RES.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521739023 is not listed on IDEAS
- Burtraw, Dallas & Parry, Ian & Goulder, Lawrence & Williams III, Roberton, 1998.
"The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Instruments for Environmental Protection in a Second-Best Setting,"
dp-98-22, Resources For the Future.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Parry, Ian W. H. & Williams III, Roberton C. & Burtraw, Dallas, 1999. "The cost-effectiveness of alternative instruments for environmental protection in a second-best setting," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 329-360, June.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Ian W. H. Parry & Roberton C. Williams III & Dallas Burtraw, 1998. "The Cost-Effectiveness of Alternative Instruments for Environmental Protection in a Second-Best Setting," NBER Working Papers 6464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Jesper Stage, 2006. "Mixing oil and water? Using hybrid input-output tables in a Structural decomposition analysis," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 85-95.
- Maurizio Ciaschini & Rosita Pretaroli & Claudio Socci, 2009.
"A Convenient Multisectoral Policy Control For Ict In The Us Economy,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 660-685, November.
- Maurizio Ciaschini & Rosita Pretaroli & Claudio Socci, 2007. "A convenient multi sectoral policy control for ICT in the USA economy," Working Papers 11-2007, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Mar 2009.
- Ciaschini, Maurizio & Socci, Claudio, 2007. "Final demand impact on output: A macro multiplier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 115-132.
- Ciaschini, Maurizio, 1989. "Scale and structure in economic modelling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 355-373, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521311120 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521517133 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521322249 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jensen, S. G. & Skytte, K., 2002. "Interactions between the power and green certificate markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 425-435, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2010.105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.