A theory of compliance with minimum wage law
In this paper, we introduce firm heterogeneity in the context of a model of non-compliance with minimum wage legislation. The introduction of heterogeneity in the ease with which firms can be monitored for non compliance allows us to show that non-compliance will persist in sectors which are relatively difficult to monitor, despite the government implementing non stochastic monitoring. Moreover, we show that the incentive not to comply is an increasing function of the level of the minimum wage and increasing function of the gap between the minimum wage and the competitive wage rate.
|Date of creation:||15 Jul 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cahuc, P. & Michel, P., 1992.
"Minimum Wage, Unemployment and Growth,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
92.35, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Gary S. Becker, 1968.
"Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 169.
- Brown, Charles, 1988. "Minimum Wage Laws: Are They Overrated?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 133-45, Summer.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2005:i:4:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azam, Jean-Paul, 1992. "The Agricultural Minimum Wage and Wheat Production in Morocco (1971-89)," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 1(2), pages 171-91, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2004:i:9:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ashenfelter, Orley & Smith, Robert S, 1979.
"Compliance with the Minimum Wage Law,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 333-50, April.
- Jellal, Mohamed, 2012.
"Maroc salaire minimum emploi et pauvreté
[Morocco minimum wage employment and poverty]," MPRA Paper 38491, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George J. Stigler, 1974.
"The Optimum Enforcement of Laws,"
in: Essays in the Economics of Crime and Punishment, pages 55-67
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grenier, Gilles, 1982. "On Compliance with the Minimum Wage Law," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 184-87, February.
- Yaniv, Gideon, 1994. "Complaining about noncompliance with the minimum wage law," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-362, September.
- Yossi Tobol, 2005. "Wage discrimination as an illegal behavior," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(4), pages 1-10.
- Yaniv, Gideon, 2001. "Minimum Wage Noncompliance and the Employment Decision," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(3), pages 596-603, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:57335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.