Unemployment and Inheritance Linkage: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis
This general equilibrium model seeks to find an explicit relationship between inheritance (and hence, the long run wealth distribution) and the unemployment, generated due to search-friction in the labor market. The existence of unemployment in the equilibrium is guaranteed together with a perfect and an imperfect labor market. The model displays that inheritance affects unemployment positively in micro-level. Amongst the different countries as a whole, a negative relationship between income and unemployment is established. The model ensures that a dynasty does not get stagnated in a particular income class. By simulating the model, we isolate the initial income distribution from the long run income path and question the efficacy of the celebrated trap theory.
|Date of creation:||14 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2010. "Why Do Firms Offer 'Employment Protection'?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(308), pages 613-636, October.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pushan Dutt & Devashish Mitra & Priya Ranjan, 2007.
"International Trade and Unemployment: Theory and Cross-National Evidence,"
070808, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Dutt, Pushan & Mitra, Devashish & Ranjan, Priya, 2009. "International trade and unemployment: Theory and cross-national evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 32-44, June.
- Zhang, Lei, 2008. "Political economy of income distribution dynamics," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 119-139, August.
- Carl Davidson & Steven J. Matusz, 2006. "Long-run Lunacy, Short-run Sanity: a Simple Model of Trade with Labor Market Turnover," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 261-276, 05.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Acemoglu, D., 1996.
"Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence,"
96-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1999. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(5), pages 1259-1278, December.
- Daron Acemoglu, 1998. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 1996. "Changes in Unemployment and Wage Inequality: An Alternative Theory and Some Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1988. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models with Frictional Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1267-93, December.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1981. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Distribution of Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 843-67, June.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:57161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.