Measuring Annual Real Exchange Rate Series for Turkey
This study deals with the problem of measuring the real exchange rate (RER). We consider four aspects of this measurement problem: (a) Using end-of-period or period averages of the nominal exchange rate. (b) Choosing price indexes. (c) In obtaining the real effective exchange rates (REER), deciding upon the number of trading partners in calculating the weights. (d) Deciding upon the formula to use in aggregation. Considering all these aspects together led to the calculation of a great number of alterative series. Our analysis of these series yielded the following conclusions: (1) The end- of- period based results reflected the dates of the major devaluations more accurately but the period average based results gave us a more conservative picture of RER behavior. (2) The consumer price index (CPI), the wholesale price index (WPI), and the GDP deflator (GDPD) were used as alternatives. When the same price indexes were used for both domestic and foreign prices, we found that the GDPD-based series appeared to overstate the depreciations and appreciations in the real exchange rate while the WPI-based results were the least volatile. When different price indexes were utilised, it was found that all series indicated changes in the competitiveness of Turkish tradables and nontradables to be in the same direction with a few periods of conflict. (3) We used four formulas to obtain the REER. In terms of the similarity in their results, we obtained two pairs. This pairing also showed itself in the sensitivity of these formulas to increases in the number of trading partners, which was chosen to be 5, 9 and 14. The sensitivity was observed when going from 5 to 9 trading partners. (4) When comparing the results from these pairs, no consistent disparity was obtained and conflicts were observed in very few cases. Hence, the choice within each pair or across pairs would be based on the assessment of the investigator as to which is easier to compute.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Yapi Kredi Economic Review 2.8(1997): pp. 35-61|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1993. "The real exchange rate and macroeconomic performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-174, October.
- Erlat, Güzin & Arslaner, Ferhat, 1997. "Measuring the Real Exchange Rate: Annual Series for Turkey," MPRA Paper 45999, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet N. Kipici & Mehtap Kesriyeli, 1997.
"Reel Doviz Kuru Tanimlari ve Hesaplama Yontemleri,"
9701, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Edouard B. Maciejewski, 1983. ""Real" Effective Exchange Rate Indices: A Re-Examination of the Major Conceptual and Methodological Issues (Les indices de taux de change effectifs "rÃ©els": un rÃ©examen des princ," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(3), pages 491-541, September.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1989. "Applications Of Real Exchange Rate Analysis," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 7(2), pages 1-26, 04.
- Faruk SELÇUK, 1993. "Reel Döviz Kurları Üzerine," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 8(84), pages 9-18.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:56396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.