Globalization of Turkey’s Banking Sector: the Determinants of Foreign Bank Penetration in Turkey
Motivated by the increased importance of foreign bank entry, this paper takes a look at the issue from the perspective of both foreign entrants and the host country. What are the conditions that make the host country market attractive to foreign entrants? What changes in the home country motivate foreign banks to expand abroad? Attracted by the “pull” and “push” factors, foreign banks enter into the banking sector of the host country resulting in both benefits and costs to the domestic sector. Having given the reasons and the effects of foreign entry in a theoretical framework, this study attempts to find out any match of the theory with the evidence.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jennifer S. Crystal & B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Has foreign bank entry led to sounder banks in Latin America?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 8(Jan).
- Clarke, George R. G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M., 2002.
"Bank lending to small businesses in Latin America : does Bank origin matter?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2760, The World Bank.
- Clarke, George & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M, 2005. "Bank Lending to Small Businesses in Latin America: Does Bank Origin Matter?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 83-118, February.
- H. Al & Ahmet Faruk Aysan, 2006.
"Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey,"
2006/06, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Al, Huseyin, 2006. "Assessing the Preconditions in Establishing an Independent Regulatory and Supervisory Agency in Globalized Financial Markets: The Case of Turkey," MPRA Paper 5481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magri, Silvia & Mori, Alessandra & Rossi, Paola, 2005. "The entry and the activity level of foreign banks in Italy: An analysis of the determinants," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1295-1310, May.
- Buch, Claudia M., 1999. "Why Do Banks Go Abroad? - Evidence from German Data," Kiel Working Papers 948, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Adrian E. Tschoegl, 2004. "Financial Crises and the Presence of Foreign Banks," International Finance 0405016, EconWPA.
- Weller, Christian E. & Scher, Mark J., 1999. "Multinational banks and development finance," ZEI Working Papers B 16-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2003. "The role of foreign banks in post-crisis Asia: the importance of method of entry," MPRA Paper 33031, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Du, Julan, 2003. "Why do multinational enterprises borrow from local banks?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 287-291, February.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 2000.
"Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung & Hesna Genay & Gregory F. Udell, 1999. "Globalization of financial institutions: evidence from cross-border banking performance," Working Paper Series WP-99-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Jeon, Yongil & Miller, Stephen M. & Natke, Paul A., 2006.
"Do foreign bank operations provide a stabilizing influence in Korea?,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 82-109, February.
- Yongil Jeon & Stephen M. Miller & Paul A. Natke, 2003. "Do Foreign Bank Operations Provide a Stabilizing Influence in Korea?," Working papers 2004-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Mauro F. Guillén & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 1999. "At Last the Internationalization of Retail Banking? The Case of the Spanish Banks in Latin America," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-41, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2004. "The short-term effects of foreign bank entry on domestic bank behaviour: Does economic development matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 553-568, March.
- Linda Goldberg & B. Gerard Dages & Daniel Kinney, 2000.
"Foreign and Domestic Bank Participation in Emerging Markets: Lessons from Mexico and Argentina,"
NBER Working Papers
7714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg & Daniel Kinney, 2000. "Foreign and domestic bank participation in emerging markets: lessons from Mexico and Argentina," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 17-36.
- Levine, Ross, 2001. "International Financial Liberalization and Economic Growth," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 688-702, November.
- Eric S. Rosengren & Joe Peek, 2000. "Collateral Damage: Effects of the Japanese Bank Crisis on Real Activity in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 30-45, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.