Foreign bank penetration, resource allocation and economic growth: evidence from emerging economies
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Nam Jeon, Bang & Wu, Ji, 2010. "Foreign Bank Penetration, Resource Allocation and Economic Growth: Evidence from Emerging Economies," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 25, pages 167-193.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993. "Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Jennifer S. Crystal & B. Gerard Dages & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Has foreign bank entry led to sounder banks in Latin America?," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 8(Jan).
- Marco Arena & Carmen Reinhart & Francisco Vázquez, 2006.
"The Lending Channel in Emerging Economics: Are Foreign Banks Different?,"
NBER Working Papers
12340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco F. Vazquez & Carmen Reinhart & Marco Arena, 2007. "The Lending Channel in Emerging Economies; Are Foreign Banks Different?," IMF Working Papers 07/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084
Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Clarke, George & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M, 2005.
"Bank Lending to Small Businesses in Latin America: Does Bank Origin Matter?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 83-118, February.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Sanchez, Susana M., 2002. "Bank lending to small businesses in Latin America : does Bank origin matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2760, The World Bank.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Poonam Gupta, 2008.
"Foreign Banks in Poor Countries: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2123-2160, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta & Thierry Tressel, 2006. "Foreign Banks in Poor Countries; Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Clarke, George R. G. & Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2001. "Does foreign bank penetration reduce access to credit in developing countries"evidence from asking borrowers," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2716, The World Bank.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Mónica Yañez, 2004. "Bank Ownership and Performance," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1544, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eric S. Rosengren & Joe Peek, 2000. "Collateral Damage: Effects of the Japanese Bank Crisis on Real Activity in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 30-45, March.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993. "Finance, entrepreneurship and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 513-542, December.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Finance, inequality, and poverty: cross-country evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3338, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2004. "Finance, Inequality, and Poverty: Cross-Country Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Steven Ongena, 2009. "Financial Integration and Firm Performance: Evidence from Foreign Bank Entry in Emerging Markets," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 181-223.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Bayraktar, Nihal & Wang, Yan, 2006. "Banking sector openness and economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4019, The World Bank.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Olivero, María Pía & Wu, Ji, 2011. "Do foreign banks increase competition? Evidence from emerging Asian and Latin American banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 856-875, April.
- repec:bla:afrdev:v:29:y:2017:i:2:p:122-138 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:taf:oaefxx:v:3:y:2015:i:1:p:1006976 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lassoued, Naima & Sassi, Houda & Ben Rejeb Attia, Mouna, 2016. "The impact of state and foreign ownership on banking risk: Evidence from the MENA countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 167-178.
- Ghosh, Amit, 2017. "How does banking sector globalization affect economic growth?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 83-97.
- Thi My Phan, Hanh & Daly, Kevin & Akhter, Selim, 2016. "Bank efficiency in emerging Asian countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 517-530.
- Apergis, Nicholas, 2015. "Competition in the banking sector: New evidence from a panel of emerging market economies and the financial crisis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 154-162.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Wu, Ji, 2014.
"The role of foreign banks in monetary policy transmission: Evidence from Asia during the crisis of 2008–9,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 96-120.
- Bang Nam Jeon & Ji Wu, 2014. "The Role of Foreign Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission: Evidence from Asia during the Crisis of 2008-9," Working Papers 012014, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Panayotis D. Alexakis & Ioannis G. Samantas, 2018. "Foreign ownership and market power: the special case of European banks," Working Papers 242, Bank of Greece.
More about this item
Keywordsforeign bank penetration; economic growth; resource allocation;
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .