Has urban economic growth in Post-Reform India been pro-poor between 1993-94 and 2009-10?
This paper empirically tests whether urban economic growth has been pro-poor in the post reform India. The study uses data from the three rounds of quinquennial household survey of urban monthly per capita consumer expenditure (MPCE) carried out by National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO) in 1993-94, 2004-05, and 2009-10. To empirically measure the propoorness of urban economic growth, this paper uses the framework developed by Duclos (2004) and also follows the methodological approach of Araar, Duclos, Audet, and Makdissi (2007, 2009). The study finds strong statistical evidence that India‘s urban economic growth has been absolutely pro-poor but relatively anti-poor between periods 1993-94 - 2004-05, 2004-05 - 2009- 10, and 1993-94 - 2009-10. The results indicate that more effective distributive policies are urgently required for urban poverty reduction in India.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Quentin Wodon, 2004.
"What is "Pro-Poor"?,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 2011.
"Has India's Economic Growth Become More Pro-Poor in the Wake of Economic Reforms?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 157-189, February.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 2009. "Has India's economic growth become more pro-poor in the wake of economic reforms ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5103, The World Bank.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007.
"Testing for Pro-poorness of Growth, with an Application to Mexico,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2009. "Testing For Pro-Poorness Of Growth, With An Application To Mexico," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(4), pages 853-881, December.
- Abdelkrim Araar & Jean-Yves Duclos & Mathieu Audet & Paul Makdissi, 2007. "Testing for pro-poorness of growth, with an application to Mexico," Cahiers de recherche 07-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 1999. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from the diverse experiences of India's states," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2263, The World Bank.
- Sabyasachi Tripathi, 2013.
"Is Urban Economic Growth Inclusive in India?,"
Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research,
National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 7(4), pages 507-539, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:52336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.