Relative Income Changes and an Identification of Growth Pattern
The paper proposes a method of identification of a growth pattern by analyzing the direct relation between income (or some other measure of wealth) of the poorer and of the richer. To this end the basic idea underlying Zenga’s concept of inequality measurement is applied. The proposed relative income change measures allude to the intuitive concept of the proportion of two averages: upper and lower – with respect to a given quantile of the income distribution. In this sense it directly refers to the relation of the poor and the non-poor. The relative income change measure is then applied to the analysis of income growth pattern in selected countries, using the data from Luxembourg Income Study Database.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kraay, Aart, 2006. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from a panel of countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 198-227, June.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2003.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 93-99, January.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Gregoire, Philippe, 2002.
"Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 471-492, December.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Philippe Gregoire, 2001. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 477.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Grégoire, Philippe, 1999. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Cahiers de recherche 9910, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Duclos, J. & Gregoire, P., 1999. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Papers 99/5, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Grégoire, Philippe, 2003. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Cahiers de recherche 0302, CIRPEE.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
"Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Frank Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2004.
"Complaints and inequality,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 23(1), pages 71-89, 08.
- Frank Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002. "Complaints and inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2204, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002. "Complaints and Inequality," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 61, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012.
"Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 31-45.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012. "Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5930, The World Bank.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 2011.
"On various ways of measuring pro-poor growth,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 5, pages 1-57.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Quentin Wodon, 2004.
"What is "Pro-Poor"?,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Grosse, Melanie & Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth in Non-Income Dimensions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1021-1047, June.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2005. "Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 997-1019, June.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- Nanak Kakwani & Hyun H. Son, 2008. "Poverty Equivalent Growth Rate," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 643-655, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2012-268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.