Relative Income Changes and an Identification of Growth Pattern
The paper proposes a method of identification of a growth pattern by analyzing the direct relation between income (or some other measure of wealth) of the poorer and of the richer. To this end the basic idea underlying Zenga’s concept of inequality measurement is applied. The proposed relative income change measures allude to the intuitive concept of the proportion of two averages: upper and lower – with respect to a given quantile of the income distribution. In this sense it directly refers to the relation of the poor and the non-poor. The relative income change measure is then applied to the analysis of income growth pattern in selected countries, using the data from Luxembourg Income Study Database.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Gregoire, Philippe, 2002.
"Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 471-92, December.
- Duclos, J. & Gregoire, P., 1999. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Papers 99/5, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Grégoire, Philippe, 1999. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Cahiers de recherche 9910, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Philippe Gregoire, 2001. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 477.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Grégoire, Philippe, 2003. "Absolute and Relative Deprivation and the Measurement of Poverty," Cahiers de recherche 0302, CIRPEE.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- Nanak Kakwani & Hyun H. Son, 2008. "Poverty Equivalent Growth Rate," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 643-655, December.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
" Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Grosse, Melanie & Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth in Non-Income Dimensions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1021-1047, June.
- Frank A Cowell & Udo Ebert, 2002.
"Complaints and Inequality,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
61, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 2001.
"Measuring pro-poor growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2666, The World Bank.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012.
"Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5930, The World Bank.
- Silber, Jacques & Verme, Paolo, 2012. "Relative deprivation, reference groups and the assessment of standard of living," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 31-45.
- Jean-Yves Duclos, 2009.
"What is “Pro-Poor”?,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 37-58, January.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 2011.
"On various ways of measuring pro-poor growth,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 5, pages 1-57.
- Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2005. "Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 997-1019, June.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Kraay, Aart, 2006. "When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from a panel of countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 198-227, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2012-268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.