Do Nations Combine O-Rings with Cobb-Douglas? Evidence from agriculture, equipment production, and the informal sector
The article focuses on the conditional relationship between various human capital proxies and the size of potential “O-Ring” or “Cobb-Douglas” sectors. We find that that years of schooling are a robust negative predictor of the size of the informal sector, conditioned on national average test scores, suggests that the signaling and acculturation mechanisms of schooling may help shift potentially productive workers into the formal economy.
|Date of creation:||09 Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Isaac Kalonda-Kanyama & Oasis Kodila-Tedika, 2012.
"Quality of Institutions : Does Intelligence Matter?,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
201206, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2012.
- Isaac Kalonda-Kanyama & Oasis Kodila-Tedika, 2012. "Quality of Institutions: Does Intelligence Matter?," Working Papers 308, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010.
"A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010,"
NBER Working Papers
15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013. "A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Oasis Kodila-Tedika, 2014.
"Governance and Intelligence: Empirical Analysis from African Data,"
Journal of African Development,
African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 83-97.
- Kodila-Tedika, Oasis, 2012. "Governance and Intelligence: Empirical Analysis from African Data," MPRA Paper 39937, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998.
"The Quality of Government,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, . "The Quality of Government," Working Paper 19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Kodila-Tedika, Oasis, 2013.
"Forget your gods: African evidence on the relation between state capacity and cognitive ability of leading politicians,"
46449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kodila-Tedika , Oasis, 2014. "Forget your gods: African evidence on the relation between state capacity and cognitive ability of leading politicians," European Economic Letters, European Economics Letters Group, vol. 3(1), pages 7-11.
- Jones, Garett, 2013. "The O-ring sector and the Foolproof sector: An explanation for skill externalities," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 1-10.
- Kremer, Michael, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-75, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.