Knowledge and Culture on Entrepreneurship
The paper contributes to the interpretation of entrepreneurship based on the effect of knowledge and the cultural background. Entrepreneurship is defined as both the self-employment and the entry density rates, comparing the two models. The present paper uses a series of variables to express these effects, which are analysed with a principal component analysis and a regression analysis. The results confirm that cultural background strongly affects both entrepreneurship rates. Knowledge creation does not affect entrepreneurship rates, as its impact on entrepreneurship is long-lasting (it could reach more or less 10 years) and not a short-term one. Simultaneously, knowledge impact affects negatively the self-employment rates and positively the entry density rates in the economies. Furthermore, performing a sensitivity analysis on knowledge and cultural background, the conclusions confirm that cultural background has a strong interpretive role in both entrepreneurship rates. Moreover, under the new prevailing conditions the creation of knowledge and the impact of knowledge have a negative effect on self-employment, while the effect of knowledge impact is strengthened in the cases where we increase knowledge and it is weakened where we decrease the knowledge variables.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2007.
"Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?,"
Scales Research Reports
H200709, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Roy Thurik & Andre van Stel & M.A. Carree, 2006. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-07, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- A. Roy Thurik & Martin A. Carree & Andre van Stel & David B. Audretsch, 2007. "Does Self-Employment reduce Unemployment?," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-089, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Audretsch, David B & Carree, Martin A & Thurik, A R Roy & van Stel, André, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & David Audretsch & Martin Carree, 2005. "Does Self-Employment Reduce Unemployment?," Scales Research Reports N200504, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Jeroen Bergh & Sigrid Stagl, 2003. "Coevolution of economic behaviour and institutions: towards a theory of institutional change," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 289-317, August.
- Sander Wennekers & André Stel & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2008.
"Nascent entrepreneurship and the level of economic development,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 325-325, March.
- Sander Wennekers & André van Wennekers & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2005. "Nascent Entrepreneurship and the Level of Economic Development," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 293-309, 04.
- Sander Wennekers & André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Paul Reynolds, 2005. "Nascent entrepreneurship and the level of economic development," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-14, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Audretsch, David B., 2007.
"The Entrepreneurial Society,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195183504, December.
- Michael H Morris & Duane L Davis & Jeffrey W Allen, 1994. "Fostering Corporate Entrepreneurship: Cross-Cultural Comparisons of the Importance of Individualism Versus Collectivism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(1), pages 65-89, March.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- Karlsson, Charlie & Friis, Christian & Paulsson, Thomas, 2004. "Relating entrepreneurship to economic growth," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 13, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Davidsson, Per & Wiklund, Johan, 1997. "Values, beliefs and regional variations in new firm formation rates," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 179-199, April.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"The Search for R&D Spillovers,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 251-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max C. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183511, December.
- Buchanan, James M. & Vanberg, Viktor J., 1991. "The Market as a Creative Process," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 167-186, October.
- Niels G. Noorderhaven & Sander Wennekers & Geert Hofstede & A. Roy Thurik & Ralph E. Wildeman, 1999. "Self-Employment out of Dissatisfaction: An International Study," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-089/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Baum, J. Robert & Olian, Judy D. & Erez, Miriam & Schnell, Eugene R. & Smith, Ken G. & Sims, Henry P. & Scully, Judith S. & Smith, Ken A., 1993. "Nationality and work role interactions: A cultural contrast of Israeli and U.S. entrepreneurs' versus managers' needs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 499-512, November.
- Ward, Thomas B., 2004. "Cognition, creativity, and entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 173-188, March.
- Greif, Avner, 1994. "Cultural Beliefs and the Organization of Society: A Historical and Theoretical Reflection on Collectivist and Individualist Societies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 912-50, October.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Busenitz, Lowell W. & Barney, Jay B., 1997. "Differences between entrepreneurs and managers in large organizations: Biases and heuristics in strategic decision-making," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 9-30, January.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1989.
"Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(03), pages 363-384, December.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1987. "Testing for Consistency using Artificial Regressions," Working Papers 687, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- P. Petrakis & P. Kostis, 2015. "The Role of Knowledge and Trust in SMEs," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 6(1), pages 105-124, March.
- Anisya S Thomas & Stephen L Mueller, 2000. "A Case for Comparative Entrepreneurship: Assessing the Relevance of Culture," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Sarasvathy, Saras D., 2003. "Entrepreneurship as a science of the artificial," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Anderson, Alistair R. & Miller, Claire J., 2003. ""Class matters": human and social capital in the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-36, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:50541. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.