Interstate Migration and the Tiebout Hypothesis: An Analysis According to Race, Sex, and Age
This article empirically examines the impact on interstate net migration of differential state and local property tax and transfer policies in the United States by race, age and sex for the period 1965-70. The results offer considerable support to the Tiebout hypothesis that the consumer-voter moves to that area which best satisfies his preferences for public goods.
|Date of creation:||20 Nov 1973|
|Date of revision:||01 Feb 1974|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of the American Statistical Association 348.69(1974): pp. 876-879|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meyer, Paul A & Shipley, J J, 1970. "Pareto Optimal Redistribution: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 988-90, December.
- Greenwood, Michael J, 1969. "An Analysis of the Determinants of Geographic Labor Mobility in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 189-94, May.
- Paul K. Gatons & Richard J. Cebula, 1972. "Wage-rate analysis: Differentials and indeterminacy," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 25(2), pages 207-212, January.
- Gian S. Sahota, 1968. "An Economic Analysis of Internal Migration in Brazil," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 218.
- Welch, Finis, 1973. "Black-White Differences in Returns to Schooling," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(5), pages 893-907, December.
- Aaron, Henry, 1970. "Income Taxes and Housing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 789-806, December.
- Gwartney, James, 1970. "Changes in the Nonwhite/White Income Ratio-1939-67," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 872-83, December.
- Hochman, Harold M & Rodgers, James D, 1969. "Pareto Optimal Redistribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 542-57, Part I Se.
- Weiss, Leonard W & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1972. "Black Education, Earnings, and Interregional Migration: Some New Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 372-83, June.
- Gene L. Chapin & Richard K. Vedder & Lowell E. Gallaway, 1970. "The Determinants of Emigration to South Africa, 1950-1967," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 38(4), pages 268-274, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.