Profit Sharing and Debt Contracts in Presence of Moral Hazard
This paper compares profit sharing and debt contracts in presence of moral hazard. Its originality relatively to the existing studies consists in performing the comparison between the two contracts in a more general context. Firstly, the internal funds of the agent (entrepreneur) are enabled to vary between 0% and 99%. Secondly, an incentive mechanism is incorporated to the sharing contract in the context of a two-period relationship. Both contracts are shown to be feasible for sufficiently high internal funds of the entrepreneur. The debt contract is shown to be characterized by larger financial access than the profit sharing contract. In addition, the extension of the financial-relationship to two periods reduces moral hazard and enhances financial access for both contracts, in case of sufficiently foresighted agent and fulfillment of two distinct conditions. For the sharing contract, the additional condition stated an upper bound on the size of the project. For the debt contract, the condition is related to the threat of non-renewal of the financing in case of first-period failure. It is interestingly shown that a more restrictive threat of financing non-renewal improves financial access but lowers the second-period investment. Finally, the paper suggests policy recommendations to enhance financial access without impeding investment through taxation and subsidizing policies.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 1994. " Robust Financial Contracting and the Role of Venture Capitalists," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 371-402, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:52:y:1985:i:4:p:647-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert M. Townsend, 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- repec:oup:restud:v:41:y:1974:i:2:p:219-55 is not listed on IDEAS
- Trester, Jeffrey J., 1998. "Venture capital contracting under asymmetric information," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 675-699, August.
- Innes, Robert D., 1990. "Limited liability and incentive contracting with ex-ante action choices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 45-67, October.
- Dang, Viet Anh, 2010. "Optimal financial contracts with hidden effort, unobservable profits and endogenous costs of effort," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 75-89, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.