Factors Influencing the State-Level Settlement Pattern of the Undocumented Immigrant Population in the United States
This study empirically attempts to identify key factors determining the settlement patterns of undocumented immigrants within the United States. The estimations imply that undocumented immigrants appear to settle in states that border the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, or the Gulf of Mexico, and states where median family income is higher, average January temperatures are higher, the percent of the state population that is Hispanic is higher, and where economic freedom is higher. On the other hand, undocumented immigrants are less likely to settle in states with a higher cost of living.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||01 Apr 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in Atlantic Economic Journal 3.41(2013): pp. 3-13|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borjas, George J, 1999.
"Immigration and Welfare Magnets,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 607-637, October.
- Conway, Karen Smith & Houtenville, Andrew J., 2001. "Elderly Migration and State Fiscal Policy: Evidence From the 1990 Census Migration Flows," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 54(1), pages 103-124, March.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:54:y:2001:i:n._1:p:103-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gradstein, Mark & Justman, Moshe, 2000. "Human capital, social capital, and public schooling," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 879-890, May.
- Conway, Karen Smith & Houtenville, Andrew J, 1998. "Do the Elderly "Vote with Their Feet"?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 97(4), pages 663-685, December.
- Richard J. Cebula & J.R. Clark, 2011.
"Migration, Economic Freedom, and Personal Freedom: An Empirical Analysis,"
Journal of Private Enterprise,
The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 27(Fall 2011), pages 43-62.
- Cebula, Richard & Clark, Jeff, 2010. "Migration, Economic Freedom, and Personal Freedom: An Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 50957, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Apr 2010.
- Cebula, Richard & Kohn, Robert & Vedder, Richard, 1972. "Some Determinants of Interstate Migration of Blacks, 1965-1970," MPRA Paper 50065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gradstein, Mark & Justman, Moshe, 2001.
"Education, Social Cohesion and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2773, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karen Smith Conway & Andrew J. Houtenville, 2003. "Out with the Old, In with the Old: A Closer Look at Younger Versus Older Elderly Migration," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(2), pages 309-328.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2006.
"Illegal Migration from Mexico to the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
12141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2006. "Illegal Migration from Mexico to the United States," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 869-924, December.
- Lewis R. Gale & Will Carrington Heath, 2000. "Elderly Internal Migration in the United States Revisited," Public Finance Review, , vol. 28(2), pages 153-170, March.
- Christer Gerdes, 2013. "Does immigration induce “native flight” from public schools?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 50(2), pages 645-666, April.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014.
"Does Immigration Induce "Native Flight" from Public Schools into Private Schools?,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt85s5v99k, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Betts, Julian R. & Fairlie, Robert W., 2003. "Does immigration induce 'native flight' from public schools into private schools?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 987-1012, May.
- Astghik Mavisakalyan, 2011. "Immigration, Public Education Spending, and Private Schooling," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 397-423, October.
- Cebula, Richard, 1978. "The Determinants of Human Migration," MPRA Paper 58401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cebula, Richard J. & Alexander, Gigi M., 2006. "Determinants of Net Interstate Migration, 2000-2004," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 36(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.