Spatial Econometric Analysis Of Urban Expansion According To Residential Density Profile In The District Of Tunis
Urban expansion of the city of Tunis, source of distortion of inter-zones balance between housing supply and employment, does only increase daily mobility and increases pressure on public transportation in terms of traffic, on transportation infrastructure in terms of congestion and on the environment in terms of pollution. This study tried to detect urban expansion patterns through estimating the gradient of a population density function in relation to distance from the center, whose shape is inspired by the standard models of the urban economy. Negative and significant signs of density gradients for the periods 1984, 1994 and 2004 indicate that the city of Tunis is more compact around its centre, and knows an exceptional expansion of its peripheries. A deeper analysis of density using spline regression techniques showed that the city can be divided into three rings, a central ring characterized by lower density gradient synonymous with progressive urban expansion, a ring containing the suburbs marked by a compact dynamic in the first decade slowed down in the second decade, and a suburban ring characterized by a progressive compacting process around classic suburban centres.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Humberside Journal of Social Sciences 1.1(2012): pp. 1-19|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yves Bussiere & Alain Bonnafous, 1993. "Transport et étalement urbain : les enjeux," Post-Print halshs-00271226, HAL.
- Imai, Haruo, 1982. "CBD hypothesis and economies of agglomeration," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 275-299, December.
- Robert E. Lucas & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2002. "On the Internal Structure of Cities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1445-1476, July.
- R Cervero & K-L Wu, 1997. "Polycentrism, commuting, and residential location in the San Francisco Bay area," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(5), pages 865-886, May.
- Mohamed Amara & Mohamed KRIAA & Makram MONTACER, 2010.
"Centralité des activités dans la région urbaine de Tunis (1994-2004),"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 473-509.
- Amara, Mohamed & Kriaa, Mohamed & Montacer, Makram, 2010. "Centralité des activités dans la région urbaine de Tunis (1994-2004)," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Editions NecPlus, vol. 2010(03), pages 473-509, September.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Song, Shunfeng, 1992.
""Wasteful" Commuting: A Resolution,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt5142n2ts, University of California Transportation Center.
- Peter Mieszkowski & Edwin S. Mills, 1993. "The Causes of Metropolitan Suburbanization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 135-147, Summer.
- R Cervero & K-L Wu, 1997. "Polycentrism, Commuting, and Residential Location in the San Francisco Bay Area," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 29(5), pages 865-886, May.
- Céline Boiteux-Orain & Jean-Marie Huriot, 2002. "Modéliser la suburbanisation. Succès et limites de la microéconomie urbaine," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(1), pages 73-104.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- Wheaton, William C., 1974. "A comparative static analysis of urban spatial structure," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 223-237, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.