Do “good neighbors” enhance regional performances in including disabled people in the labour market? A spatial Markov chain approach
The purpose of this study is to examine whether the performance of regions in providing employment of disabled people according to Law 68/99 can be affected by the performance of neighbouring regions. Hence, we propose a two-step analysis focusing on the Italian regions for the years 2000-2009. In the first step, we verify by means of the Stochastic Frontier Approach that the regions of Central and Northern Italy are more efficient in the matching process between demand and supply of jobs for disabled people than the regions of Southern Italy. Then, the efficiency results are analyzed using a Markov Spatial Transition Matrix in order to provide insights into the transitions of regions between efficiency levels, taking their local context into account. The results of this analysis show that good neighbors are important in promoting the improvement of the performance of the regions. However, the effects produced by bad neighbors should not be underestimated, especially when they are concentrated in an area of the country and have a time-space persistence. The effect of a persistent dualism on the performance of the regions with respect to the application of Law 68/99 is a problem that must be seriously considered by policy makers; especially when the regions with a low efficiency score are surrounded by neighbors with poor efficiency score and show an unhealthy poorly performing labour market.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melanie K. Jones & Peter J. Sloane, 2010.
"Disability and Skill Mismatch,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(s1), pages 101-114, 09.
- Mark Partridge & Dan Rickman, 1997. "The Dispersion of US State Unemployment Rates: The Role of Market and Non-market Equilibrium Factors," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(6), pages 593-606.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 1998.
"Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act,"
NBER Working Papers
6670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua D. Angrist, 2001. "Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 915-957, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 1998. "Consequences of Employment Protection? The Case of the Americans with Disabilities Act," Working papers 98-13, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cracolici, M. Francesca & Cuffaro, Miranda & Nijkamp, Peter, 2007.
"Geographical distribution of unemployment: an analysis of provincial differences in Italy,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0001, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Maria Francesca Cracolici & Miranda Cuffaro & Peter Nijkamp, 2007. "Geographical Distribution of Unemployment: An Analysis of Provincial Differences in Italy," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 649-670.
- Maria Francesca Cracolici & Miranda Cuffaro & Peter Nijkamp, 2007. "Geographical Distribution of Unemployment: An Analysis of Provincial Differences in Italy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-065/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Daniela Schettini & Carlos Roberto Azzoni & Antonio PâˆšÂ°ez, 2011.
"Neighborhood and Efficiency in Manufacturing in Brazilian Regions: a Spatial Markov Chain Analysis,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa10p1052, European Regional Science Association.
- Daniela Schettini & Carlos R. Azzoni & Antonio Paez, 2011. "Neighborhood and Efficiency in Manufacturing in Brazilian Regions: A Spatial Markov Chain Analysis," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 34(4), pages 397-418, October.
- Massimiliano Agovino & Agnese Rapposelli, 2014. "Employment of disabled people in the private sector. An analysis at the level of Italian Provinces according to article 13 of law 68/1999," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 1537-1552, May.
- Jones, Melanie K. & Latreille, Paul L. & Sloane, Peter J., 2007. "Disability and Work: A Review of the British Evidence," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 25, pages 473-498, Abril.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Jones, Melanie K. & Latreille, Paul L. & Sloane, Peter J., 2003. "Disability, Gender and the Labour Market," IZA Discussion Papers 936, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wendy A. Stock & Kathleen Beegle, 2004. "Employment Protections for Older Workers: Do Disability Discrimination Laws Matter?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(1), pages 111-126, 01.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- M. Agovino & A. Rapposelli, 2013. "Inclusion of disabled people in the Italian labour market: an efficiency analysis of law 68/1999 at regional level," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 1577-1588, April.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.