Endogénéité des critères d'une zone monétaire optimale: un réexamen
[Endogeneity of the optimum currency area criteria: a re-examination]
In the context of the theory of the optimum currency areas, Frankel and Rose  have proposed the endogeneity thesis of the optimality criteria which they demonstrate by highlighting a significantly positive relation between business cycles synchronization and trade intensity of the monetary union countries. This demonstration admits limits and can lead to erroneous conclusions. It hides an important dimension of the endogeneity of the optimality criteria: the business cycles convergence. From the experience of three monetary unions, we first demonstrate that the endogeneity of the monetary unions can only and rigorously be verified afterwards. We demonstrate secondly that, in addition to a positive relation between business cycles synchronization and trade integration, a cyclical convergence of the economies over the period prior to the monetary union would make the thesis of endogeneity more plausible.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Grauwe, Paul, 1975. "The interaction of monetary policies in a group of European countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 207-228, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:25:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sampawende Jules Tapsoba, 2011. "Union Monétaire en Afrique de l'Ouest: Quelles Réponses à l'Hétérogénéité des Chocs ?," Working Papers halshs-00554309, HAL.
- Imbs, Jean, 2003.
"Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Imbs, 2004. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 723-734, August.
- Jean Imbs, 2003. "Trade, Finance, Specialization, and Synchronization," IMF Working Papers 03/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Imbs, 2004. "Trade, Finance, Specialization and Synchronization," Post-Print hal-00612588, HAL.
- Roland Vaubel, 1976.
"Real exchange-rate changes in the European community: The empirical evidence and its implications for European currency unification,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 112(3), pages 429-470, September.
- Vaubel, Roland, 1976. "Real exchange-rate changes in the European Community: The empirical evidence and its implications for European currency unification," Kiel Working Papers 39, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- S. Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2009.
"Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 18(2), pages 287-318, March.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2009. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00368586, HAL.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2008. "Trade intensity and business cycle synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00325718, HAL.
- Jules-Armand Tapsoba, 2010. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print hal-00465440, HAL.
- Sampawende Jules Tapsoba, 2010. "Trade Intensity and Business Cycle Synchronicity in Africa," Post-Print halshs-00523582, HAL.
- Vaubel, Roland, 1978. "Real exchange-rate changes in the European community : A new approach to the determination of optimum currency areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 319-339, May.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-88, September.
- Tapsoba Jules-Armand, 2007. "Bilateral Trade and Business Cycles Synchronization: African Monetary Integration Perspective," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(25), pages 1-15.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46727. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.