Finansal Liberalizasyon ve Küresel Krizin Yapısal Nedenleri: Gelişmekte Olan Ülkeler İçin Dersler
[Financial Liberalization and the Structural Roots of the Global Crises: Lessons for Developing Countries]
The main aim of this study is to analyze the connection between financial liberalization and financial crises in historical context. The global economy is experiencing crisis which has been hailed as the most devastating crisis of capitalism since the great depression of 1929. Post World War II economic history can be thought of as evolving within two distinct political-economic regimes. The high growth Golden Age or Keynesian Regime was based on socially or politically ‘embedded’ domestic markets, government responsibility for aggregate demand growth, and state control over cross-border economic activity. It lasted until the early 1970s, to be replaced, after a decade of turbulence, by the Neoliberal Regime, built on deregulation, liberalization, privatization, and ever-tighter global integration. The Neoliberal Regime took root in the 1980s and consolidated in the 1990s.Financialization which is a major phenomenon of neoliberal regime, means the increasing role of financial motives, financial markets, financial actors and financial institutions in the operation of domestic and international economies. In this period, many developed and developing countries have liberalized their financial markets. The financial liberalization opens up new opportunity for financial sectors often resulting in excessive risk taking because of lack of adequate regulation particularly emerging economies. After liberalization of period, most countries tend to go though a “boom-bust” cycle especially in the case of external liberalization. As a result, currency and banking crises (twin crises) are closely linked in aftermath of liberalization. In this paper, policy framework is also discussed from developing countries perspective.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998.
"Financial crises in emerging markets: a canonical model,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: A Canonical Model," Working Papers 98-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ilene Grabel, 2003. "Averting crisis? Assessing measures to manage financial integration in emerging economies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 317-336, May.
- Adelman, Irma & Yeldan, Erinc, 2000. "Is this the end of economic development?," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 95-109, July.
- Oğuz ESEN, 1998. "Gelişmekte Olan Ülkelerde Uygulanan Finansal Serbestleşme Programlarına Eleştirisel Bir Yaklaşım," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 13(145), pages 23-30. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.