The Balance Sheet Approach To Financial Crises In Emerging Markets
This paper contrasts the conventional balance sheet approach to the analysis of economic disturbances in emerging markets with the alternative balance sheet approach that applies and extends Minskyâ€™s Financial Instability Hypothesis to (open) emerging market economies. Earlier balance sheet studies are flawed because of a failure to disaggregate firmsâ€™ balance sheets. Examination of such balance sheets in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong, suggests that firms in the three crisis countries shared common causes of financial fragility, but the level of financial development and the particular domestic economic and political situation also affected their situation.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thornhaugh Street, London WC1H OXG|
Web page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Toporowski, 2006. "Methodology and Microeconomics in the Early Work of Hyman P. Minsky," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_480, Levy Economics Institute.
- McKinnon, Ronald I. & Pill, Huw, 1998.
"International Overborrowing: A Decomposition of Credit and Currency Risks,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1267-1282, July.
- Ronald I. McKinnon & Huw Pill, 1998. "International Overborrowing: A Decomposition of Credit and Currency Risks," Working Papers 98004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998.
"Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: A Canonical Model,"
98-21, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial crises in emerging markets: a canonical model," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 98-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Morris Goldstein & Philip Turner, 2004. "Controlling Currency Mismatches in Emerging Markets," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 373, January.
- repec:rus:hseeco:123922 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza, 2003. "Currency Mismatches, Debt Intolerance and Original Sin: Why They Are Not the Same and Why it Matters," NBER Working Papers 10036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth & Savastano, Miguel, 2003.
13932, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1996.
"Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_155, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1998. "Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies," Macroeconomics 9809015, EconWPA.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999.
"What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Özlem Onaran, 2006.
"Speculation-led growth and fragility in Turkey: Does EU make a difference or "can it happen again"?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp093, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Onaran, Özlem, 2006. "Speculation-led growth and fragility in Turkey: Does EU make a difference or "can it happen again"?," WU Library - ePub - Series 005 1118, WU Library - ePub.
- Jan A. Kregel, 1998.
"Yes, 'It' Did Happen Again: A Minsky Crisis Happened in Asia,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_234, Levy Economics Institute.
- J.A. Kregel, 1998. "Yes, "It" Did Happen Again - A Minsky Crisis Happened in Asia," Macroeconomics 9805017, EconWPA.
- McKinnon, Ronald I., 2004. "The East Asian dollar standard," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 325-330.
- Palma, Gabriel, 1998. "Three and a Half Cycles of 'Mania, Panic, and [Asymmetric] Crash': East Asia and Latin America Compared," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 789-808, November.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2001. "Financial policies and the prevention of financial crises in emerging market economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2683, The World Bank.
- Marcus Miller & Pongsak Luangaram, 1998.
"Financial Crisis in East Asia: Bank Runs, Asset Bubbles and Antidotes,"
CSGR Working papers series
11/98, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Marcus Miller & Pongsak Luangaram, 1998. "Financial crisis in East Asia: bank runs, asset bubbles and antidotes," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 165(1), pages 66-82, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soa:wpaper:149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.