Co-movements in international dollar price levels
This paper studies the relation between movements in the U.S. price level and the dollar price levels of nineteen other countries. Using the band pass filter developed by Christiano and Fitzgerald (2003), we examine correlations between dollar prices when decomposed into their high, medium, and low frequency cycles. The low frequency cycle in the U.S. price series is highly correlated with low frequency cycles in dollar price levels of the majority of countries in our sample. The high correlation between low frequency cycles persists over a variety of historical sub-periods, including the eras of fixed and flexible nominal exchange rates. This result, suggesting the existence of a common long-run price cycle, is consistent with long-run purchasing power parity. In contrast, both high and medium frequency cycles are more highly correlated prior to the Great Depression. This result is consistent with studies finding greater stability of real exchange rates during the era of the gold standard. Also, it appears that the increased volatility of U.S. real exchange rates after the 1973 move to flexible exchange rates was largely due to declines in the co-movement of short-run dollar price cycles.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez Valdovinos, Carlos G., 2003. "Inflation and economic growth in the long run," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 167-173, August.
- Lothian, James R., 1998. "Some new stylized facts of floating exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Lee, Kiseok & Ni, Shawn, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of the Output Effects of Temporary and Persistent Government Purchases," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 717-730, October.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band Pass Filter,"
NBER Working Papers
7257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frederick H. Wallace & Gary L. Shelley, 2005.
"An Alternative Test of Purchasing Power Parity,"
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3108436 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gonzaga, Gustavo M. & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 1997. "Equilibrium real exchange rate, volatility, and stabilization," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 77-100, October.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Neumann, Manfred, 1995. "Real effects of exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 417-426, June.
- Grilli, Vittorio & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1991. "Nominal exchange rate regimes and the real exchange rate : Evidence from the United States and Great Britain, 1885-1986," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 191-212, April.
- Mark P. Taylor, 1995. "The Economics of Exchange Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 13-47, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:2:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robertson, Raymond, 2004. "Relative prices and wage inequality: evidence from Mexico," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 387-409, December.
- Kool, C. J. M. & Koedijk, K. G., 1997. "Real exchange rates between the wars," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 211-232, April.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2002.
"A Century Of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 139-150, February.
- Alba, Joseph D. & Papell, David H., 2007. "Purchasing power parity and country characteristics: Evidence from panel data tests," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 240-251, May.
- Mussa, Michael, 1986. "Nominal exchange rate regimes and the behavior of real exchange rates: Evidence and implications," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 117-214, January.
- Natalia Chernyshoff & David S. Jacks & Alan M. Taylor, 2005. "Stuck on Gold: Real Exchange Rate Volatility and the Rise and Fall of the Gold Standard," NBER Working Papers 11795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Panizza, Ugo & Rigobon, Roberto, 2006.
"The long-run volatility puzzle of the real exchange rate,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 93-124, February.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza & Roberto Rigobon, 2004. "The Long-Run Volatility Puzzle of the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 10751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:4133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.