Strategic commitment to pursue a goal other than profit in a Cournot duopoly
Competition among profit-seeking firms in an oligopolistic industry inherently generates incentives for firms to commit to maximize a performance metric other than profit. We briefly review the underlying theory, analyze its ramifications in a Cournot duopoly, and consider feasibility constraints from the perspective of strategic management.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Gakushuin Economic Papers 2.49(2012): pp. 133-142|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Shannon, 2003.
"What to Maximize if You Must,"
Theory workshop papers
658612000000000044, UCLA Department of Economics.
- HEIFETZ, Aviad & SHANNON, Chris & SPIEGEL, Yossi, 2003. "What to maximize if you must," CORE Discussion Papers 2003047, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aviad Heifetz & Chris Shannon & Yossi Spiegel, 2003. "What to Maximize If You Must," Game Theory and Information 0303002, EconWPA.
- Aviad Heifetz & Chris Shannon & Yossi Spiegel, 2004. "What to Maximize if You Must," Discussion Papers 1414, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Thomas Gehrig & Werner Güth & René Levínský, 2003.
"The commitment effect in belief evolution,"
Papers on Strategic Interaction
2003-17, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Englmaier, Florian, 2011.
"Commitment in R&D tournaments via strategic delegation to overoptimistic managers,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
22011, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Florian Englmaier, 2011. "Commitment in R&D tournaments via strategic delegation to overoptimistic managers," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(1), pages 63-69, January.
- Englmaier, Florian, 2010. "Commitment in R&D Tournaments via Strategic Delegation to Overoptimistic Managers," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 328, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Nolan Miller & Amit Pazgal, 2002. "Relative performance as a strategic commitment mechanism," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(2), pages 51-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40891. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.