Continuity and Change in Indian Capitalism
This paper explores the elements of continuity and change associated with Indian capitalism’s transition to its liberal phase after 1991. While acknowledging the significant changes since then, it is argued that the origins, nature, and consequences of Indian liberalization cannot be understood without recognizing the important continuities between the pre- and post-liberalization phases. Its colonial origins and the absence of a thoroughgoing agrarian transformation, and other stable features associated with these, remain crucial for explaining the key and sometimes very specific outcomes being generated by Indian capitalism. Indian capitalism after liberalization is less different than what it was before than might appear at first sight, and some of the difference is only a reinforcing of its inherent characteristics. Indian capitalism has always exhibited a strong tendency for generating uneven development. The change implied in that uneven development lay behind the shift from a dirigiste strategy to liberalization, which in turn has made the uneven development tendency stronger. The paper concludes with some reflections on the ‘Varieties of Capitalism’ perspective with reference to the case of Indian capitalism.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mazumdar, Surajit, 2008. "Crony Capitalism and India: Before and After Liberalization," MPRA Paper 19627, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amable, Bruno, 1999. "Institutional complementarity and diversity of social systems of innovation and production," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 99-309, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147, April.
- Mazumdar, Surajit, 2008. "Investment and growth in India under liberalization: Asymmetries and Instabilities," MPRA Paper 19629, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dore, Ronald, 2000. "Stock Market Capitalism: Welfare Capitalism: Japan and Germany versus the Anglo-Saxons," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199240616, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:38907. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.