Non-linear convergence in Asian interest rates and inflation rates
We examine the dynamics of convergence of the ASEAN5 plus the big three for nominal interest rates, inflation rates, and real interest rates. We test for convergence relative to the U.S and Japan, using monthly data over the period January 1990 - December 2010, using non-linear unit root tests. The results show strong evidence of stationary inflation and real interest rate differentials in all but China’s inflation differential relative to the U.S., and stationary nominal interest differentials in most of the cases. We interpret these results as convergence in inflation rates and real interest rates in all cases, and as nominal interest convergence in most of the cases. Moreover, examining the impact of the Asian crisis shows less number of convergences before the crisis and more convergences after the crisis. This suggests that convergence has increased after the 1997/98 Asian crisis, and that the crisis has pulled the economies together.
|Date of creation:||12 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ji, Philip Inyeob & Kim, Jae H., 2009.
"Real interest rate linkages in the Pacific-Basin region,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 440-448, June.
- Philip Inyeob Ji & Jae H. Kim, 2005. "Real Interest Rate Linkages in the Pacific Basin Region," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 23/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Nor Aishah Hamzah, 2008. "Real interest rate parity in the ASEAN-5 countries: a nonlinear perspective," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 955-958.
- Dirk Te Velde, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 178, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wilcox, David W, 2002.
"The Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 47-71, Spring.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998.
"The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997. "The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:9:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2006. "Does greater exchange rate flexibility affect interest rates in post-crisis Asia?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 478-493, June.
- Chi-Young Choi & Young-Kyu Moh, 2007. "How useful are tests for unit-root in distinguishing unit-root processes from stationary but non-linear processes?," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 82-112, 03.
- Siklos, Pierre L & Wohar, Mark E, 1997. "Convergence in Interest Rates and Inflation Rates across Countries and over Time," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 129-41, February.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Maghrebi, Nabil, 2004. "Asian real interest rates, nonlinear dynamics, and international parity," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-405.
- Hsiu-Yun Lee & Jyh-Lin Wu, 2004. "Convergence of interest rates around the Pacific Rim," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(12), pages 1281-1288.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker & Wilcox, David, 2006.
"A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1877-1893, November.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker & Wilcox, David, 2003. "A Quantitative Exploration of the Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4073, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker, 2005. "A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Athanasios Orphanides & David H. Small & Volker W. Wieland & David W. Wilcox, 1997. "A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Zhou, Su, 2008. "Stationarity of Asian-Pacific real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 16-22, January.
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006.
"Inflation Targeting Arrangements In Asia : Exploring The Role Of The Exchange Rate,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22564, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006. "Inflation Targeting Arrangements in Asia: Exploring the Role of the Exchange Rate," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0603, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Miguel A. Leãn-Ledesma, 2007. "A Long-Run Non-Linear Approach to the Fisher Effect," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 543-559, 03.
- Bierens, Herman J, 2000. "Nonparametric Nonlinear Cotrending Analysis, with an Application to Interest and Inflation in the United States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 323-37, July.
- Lanne, Markku, 2002. "Nonlinear dynamics of interest rate and inflation," Research Discussion Papers 21/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Million, Nicolas, 2004. "Central Bank's interventions and the Fisher hypothesis: a threshold cointegration investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1051-1064, December.
- Baba, Chikako, 2007. "Price dispersion across and within countries: The case of Japan and Korea," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 237-259, June.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2005. "Asian Currency Crisis and the Generalized PPP: Evidence from the Far East," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 137-157, 06.
- Pippenger, Michael K & Goering, Gregory E, 1993. "A Note on the Empirical Power of Unit Root Tests under Threshold Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 473-81, November.
- Salah A. Nusair, 2008. "Purchasing Power Parity under Regime Shifts: An Application to Asian Countries ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 241-266, 09.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Measuring International Capital Mobility: A Review," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 197-202, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.