Non-linear convergence in Asian interest rates and inflation rates
We examine the dynamics of convergence of the ASEAN5 plus the big three for nominal interest rates, inflation rates, and real interest rates. We test for convergence relative to the U.S and Japan, using monthly data over the period January 1990 - December 2010, using non-linear unit root tests. The results show strong evidence of stationary inflation and real interest rate differentials in all but China’s inflation differential relative to the U.S., and stationary nominal interest differentials in most of the cases. We interpret these results as convergence in inflation rates and real interest rates in all cases, and as nominal interest convergence in most of the cases. Moreover, examining the impact of the Asian crisis shows less number of convergences before the crisis and more convergences after the crisis. This suggests that convergence has increased after the 1997/98 Asian crisis, and that the crisis has pulled the economies together.
|Date of creation:||12 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2005:i:9:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997. "Threshold Cointegration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-645, August.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages 119-136, Suppl. De.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Nor Aishah Hamzah, 2008. "Real interest rate parity in the ASEAN-5 countries: a nonlinear perspective," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 955-958.
- Baba, Chikako, 2007. "Price dispersion across and within countries: The case of Japan and Korea," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 237-259, June.
- Million, Nicolas, 2004. "Central Bank's interventions and the Fisher hypothesis: a threshold cointegration investigation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1051-1064, December.
- Hsiu-Yun Lee & Jyh-Lin Wu, 2004. "Convergence of interest rates around the Pacific Rim," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(12), pages 1281-1288.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker & Wilcox, David, 2006.
"A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1877-1893, November.
- Athanasios Orphanides & David H. Small & Volker W. Wieland & David W. Wilcox, 1997. "A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker & Wilcox, David, 2003. "A Quantitative Exploration of the Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4073, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Orphanides, Athanasios & Small, David & Wieland, Volker, 2005. "A quantitative exploration of the opportunistic approach to disinflation," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Chi-Young Choi & Young-Kyu Moh, 2007. "How useful are tests for unit-root in distinguishing unit-root processes from stationary but non-linear processes?," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(1), pages 82-112, March.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Maghrebi, Nabil, 2004. "Asian real interest rates, nonlinear dynamics, and international parity," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-405.
- Ji, Philip Inyeob & Kim, Jae H., 2009.
"Real interest rate linkages in the Pacific-Basin region,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 440-448, June.
- Philip Inyeob Ji & Jae H. Kim, 2005. "Real Interest Rate Linkages in the Pacific Basin Region," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 23/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001. "Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Orphanides, Athanasios & Wilcox, David W, 2002.
"The Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 47-71, Spring.
- Athanasios Orphanides & David W. Wilcox, "undated". "The Opportunistic Approach to Disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1996-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Athanasios Orphanides & David W. Wilcox, 1996. "The opportunistic approach to disinflation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006.
"Inflation Targeting Arrangements In Asia : Exploring The Role Of The Exchange Rate,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22564, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tony Cavoli & Ramkishen S. Rajan, 2006. "Inflation Targeting Arrangements in Asia: Exploring the Role of the Exchange Rate," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0603, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Miguel A. Leãn-Ledesma, 2007. "A Long-Run Non-Linear Approach to the Fisher Effect," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 543-559, March.
- Pippenger, Michael K & Goering, Gregory E, 1993. "A Note on the Empirical Power of Unit Root Tests under Threshold Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 473-481, November.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998.
"The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997. "The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2006. "Does greater exchange rate flexibility affect interest rates in post-crisis Asia?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 478-493, June.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Measuring International Capital Mobility: A Review," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 197-202, May.
- Dirk Te Velde, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 178, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Siklos, Pierre L & Wohar, Mark E, 1997. "Convergence in Interest Rates and Inflation Rates across Countries and over Time," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 129-141, February.
- Bierens, Herman J, 2000. "Nonparametric Nonlinear Cotrending Analysis, with an Application to Interest and Inflation in the United States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 323-337, July.
- Zhou, Su, 2008. "Stationarity of Asian-Pacific real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 16-22, January.
- Taufiq Choudhry, 2005. "Asian Currency Crisis and the Generalized PPP: Evidence from the Far East," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 137-157, June.
- Salah A. Nusair, 2008. "Purchasing Power Parity under Regime Shifts: An Application to Asian Countries ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 241-266, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.