Valuación de acciones mexicanas mediante los modelos de Ohlson y Ohlson-Beta para firmas con ciclos de corto y largo plazos: Un análisis de cointegración
[Valuation of Mexican stocks with the Olhson and Ohlson-Beta models for firms with short-term and long-term cycles: A cointegration analysis]
We develop an investigation regarding the determinants of the stock prices listed in the Mexican Stock Exchange (BMV). We use the valuation Ohlson model and an extension of it. The Ohlson-Beta model includes the Beta elasticity as an additional explanatory variable. We use time-series and panel-data cointegration methodologies to assess the existence of meaningful long-run relationships among the variables postulated by both models. The main results suggest that the use of panel-data techniques may be more adequate than time-series ones. They also show that both Ohlson models are useful to describe stock prices. The traditional Ohlson variables are significant and have the postulated signs. The Beta variable is also significant. These results hold when the firms are considered as a whole and for the firms with long cycles. Thus the results may support the hypothesis that the information content of accounting and financial variables depends on the length of the cycles.
|Date of creation:||28 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2007.
"Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations,"
CEMA Working Papers
275, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Shanken, Jay & Zhou, Guofu, 2007. "Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 40-86, April.
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2006. "Estimating and Testing Beta Pricing Models: Alternative Methods and their Performance in Simulations," NBER Working Papers 12055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dechow, Patricia M., 1994. "Accounting earnings and cash flows as measures of firm performance : The role of accounting accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Duran-Vazquez, Rocio & Lorenzo-Valdes, Arturo & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2011.
"Valuation of Latin-American stock prices with alternative versions of the Ohlson model: An investigation of cointegration relationships with time-series and panel-data,"
31354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Duran-Vazquez, Rocio & Lorenzo-Valdes, Arturo & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2011. "Valuation of Latin-American stock prices with alternative versions of the Ohlson model: An investigation of cointegration relationships with time-series and panel-data," MPRA Paper 32043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:bbz:fcpbbr:v:1:y:2004:i:2:p:136-150 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael McCrae & Henrik Nilsson, 2001. "The explanatory and predictive power of different specifications of the Ohlson (1995) valuation models," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 315-341.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.