A model of borrower reputation as intangible collateral
In this paper, we build a framework which can generate endogenous fluctuations in downpayment requirements. We extend the model of Kiyotaki and Moore (1997) by considering an environment, in which savers can keep their anonymity but borrowers cannot. This allows lenders to punish defaulting borrowers by excluding them from future borrowing. They cannot however stop them from saving in the anonymous financial market. We show how the possibility of such market exclusion can lead to the emergence of intangible collateral in equilibrium alongside the tangible collateral which is usually studied in the literature. Fluctuations in the value of intangible collateral are isomorphic to fluctuations in the amount of borrowing firms can secure against the value of their tangible assets. We find that, when we combine the intangible collateral mechanism in our paper with counter-cyclical variance of idiosyncratic productivity shocks, this helps to generate realistic negative co-movement of downpayment requirements and aggregate output over the business cycle. In this case, the presence of intangible collateral increases the amplification of business cycle fluctuations relative to the standard Kiyotaki-Moore (1997) model.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan-Carlos Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2004.
"Credit Cycles Redux,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1011-1046, November.
- Cordoba, Juan Carlos & Ripoll, Marla, 2010. "Credit Cycles Redux," Staff General Research Papers 32122, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cordoba, Juan & Ripoll, Marla, 2002. "Credit Cycles Redux," Working Papers 2002-07, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Juan Cordoba & Marla Ripoll, 2002. "Credit Cycles Redux," Macroeconomics 0210004, EconWPA.
- George-Marios Angeletos & Laurent Calvet, 2003.
"Idiosyncratic Production Risk, Growth, and the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
9764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angeletos, George-Marios & Calvet, Laurent-Emmanuel, 2006. "Idiosyncratic production risk, growth and the business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1095-1115, September.
- George-Marios Angeletos & Laurent E. Calvet, 2002. "Idiosyncratic Production Risk, Growth and the Business Cycle," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1952, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gertler, Mark & Karadi, Peter, 2011. "A model of unconventional monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Francis Covas & Wouter J. Den Haan, 2007. "Cyclical Behavior of Debt and Equity Using a Panel of Canadian Firms," Staff Working Papers 07-44, Bank of Canada.
- Francisco Covas & Wouter J. den Haan, 2006.
"The Role of Debt and Equity Finance over the Business Cycle,"
Staff Working Papers
06-45, Bank of Canada.
- Francisco Covas & Wouter J. Den Haan, 2012. "The Role of Debt and Equity Finance Over the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(565), pages 1262-1286, December.
- Covas, Francisco & Den Haan, Wouter, 2007. "The Role of Debt and Equity Finance over the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 6145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Covas & Wouter Denhaan, 2006. "The role of debt and equity finance over the business cycle," 2006 Meeting Papers 407, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Timothy J Kehoe & David K Levine, 1993.
"Debt Constrained Asset Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1276, David K. Levine.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1993. "Debt-Constrained Asset Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(4), pages 865-888.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 1993. "Debt-Constrained Asset Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 865-88, October.
- den Haan, Wouter J & Marcet, Albert, 1990.
"Solving the Stochastic Growth Model by Parameterizing Expectations,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 31-34, January.
- Wouter Denhaan & Albert Marcet, 1990. "FORTRAN code for Simulation Parameterized Expecations Algorithm," QM&RBC Codes 57, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Fernando Alvarez & Urban J. Jermann, 2000. "Efficiency, Equilibrium, and Asset Pricing with Risk of Default," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 775-798, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32939. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.