Mutamenti strutturali: modelli, metodi e principi in una nuova prospettiva
[Structural changes: models, methods and principles towards a new perspective]
The study of structural changes is the theme of this work, where structural changes are correlated primarily with changes in the structure of production, which are caused by the evolution of technical progress and organizational changes in production. The analysis of models and theories of structural change carried out in this paper is twofold. On the one hand, it is possible to identify some basic principles that characterize these models, on the other hand, it should lead us to reconsider some important methodological issues in a new perspective, issues concerning the different methods of decomposition of the production systems, the problem of complexity and strategies to reduce this complexity. In the following pages, the investigation will be limited to the models of Leontief, von Neumann, Sraffa as these economists, similarly to classical economics, focused their study on the economic structure as a factor crucial to understanding the functioning of economic systems. The choice of models of Leontief, von Neumann and Sraffa is important, because they can identify the analytical principles and discuss some methodological issues, which are the basis of the analysis of structural change, with the aim of contributing to a new perspective and to further progress at epistemic level. This paper compares the Quesnay’s Tableau Economique, taken as a reference model, with the models of Leontief, von Neumann and Sraffa to capture the different characteristics of these models compared to the theoretical framework of Quesnay. The essay also seeks to identify within these models the main features on the analysis of structural change. It tries to indicate the possibility of a new and unified perspective on the methodological analysis of structural change but does notpretend to to offer a general theoretical model.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scazzieri Roberto, 2009. "Structural Economic Dynamics: Looking Back and Forging Ahead," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 531-558.
- Roberto Scazzieri, 1990. "Vertical Integration in Economic Theory," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 13(1), pages 20-46, October.
- Bortis, Heinrich, 1996. "Structural economic dynamics and technical progress in a pure labour economy," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 135-146, June.
- Heinz Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2001. "Sraffa and von Neumann," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 161-180.
- Schilirò Daniele, 2006. "Teorie circolari e teorie verticali della dinamica economica strutturale: verso uno schema di carattere generale," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 51-80.
- Leontief, Wassily, 1971. "Theoretical Assumptions and Nonobserved Facts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866, April.