Impact of Interest Rates on Islamic and Conventional Banks: The Case of Turkey
Identifying the impact of the interest rates upon Islamic banks is key to understand the contribution of such institutions to the financial stability, designing monetary policies and devising a proper risk management applicable to these institutions. This article analyzes and investigates the impact of interest rate shock upon the deposits and loans held by the conventional and Islamic banks with particular reference to the period between December 2005 and July 2009 based on Vector Error Correction (VEC) methodology. It is theoretically expected that the Islamic banks, relying on interest-free banking, shall not be affected by the interest rates; however, in concurrence with the previous studies, the article finds that the Islamic banks in Turkey are visibly influenced by interest rates.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chong, Beng Soon & Liu, Ming-Hua, 2009. "Islamic banking: Interest-free or interest-based?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 125-144, January.
- Kia, Amir & Darrat, Ali F., 2007. "Modeling money demand under the profit-sharing banking scheme: Some evidence on policy invariance and long-run stability," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 104-123.
- repec:pid:journl:v:31:y:1992:i:4:p:1077-1087 is not listed on IDEAS
- Khan, Mohsin S & Mirakhor, Abbas, 1990. "Islamic Banking: Experiences in the Islamic Republic of Iran and in Pakistan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 353-75, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Yudistira, Donsyah, 2004. "Efficiency In Islamic Banking: An Empirical Analysis Of Eighteen Banks," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 12, pages 2-19.
- Bacha, Obiyathulla I., 2004. "Dual Banking Systems and Interest Rate Risk for Islamic Banks," MPRA Paper 12763, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2004.
- Raditya Sukmana & Salina H. Kassim, 2010. "Roles of the Islamic banks in the monetary transmission process in Malaysia," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(1), pages 7-19, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29848. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.