A micro-econometric model of a short run cost function with unobserved heterogeneity
Unobserved plant level heterogeneity and discrete production processes can produce problems for estimation. A structural model of discrete production decisions by heterogeneous plants is constructed and, as a case study, estimated for the U.S. Portland cement industry. A new estimator is proposed to handle the discrete production process – for which the ordered probit is a special case. Data on firm survival and exit are used to adjust all input requirement coefficients for unobserved heterogeneity. The structural model is successfully estimated. Differences between many estimated coefficients and independent estimates from external sources are statistically insignificant.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1992.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-863.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert & Vanasse, Charles, 1998.
"Inferring technological parameters from incomplete panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 303-327, September.
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995. "Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data," Cahiers de recherche 9537, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995. "Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data," Cahiers de recherche 9537, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Lindenberg, Eric B & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Tobin's q Ratio and Industrial Organization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- David Prentice, 1998.
"A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity,"
1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- David Prentice, 1998. "A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Working Papers 1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Prentice, David, 2000. "A micro-econometric model of a short run cost function with unobserved heterogeneity," MPRA Paper 28682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McBride, Mark E, 1983. "Spatial Competition and Vertical Integration: Cement and Concrete Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1011-22, December.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996.
"The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers 92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Charles A. Capone, Jr. & Kenneth G. Elzinga, 1987. "Technology and Energy Use Before, During, and After OPEC: The U.S. Portland Cement Industry," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 93-112.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994.
"Output Fluctuations at the Plant Level,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 593-624.
- Sanghamitra Das, 1992. "A Micro-Econometric Model of Capital Utilization and Retirement: The Case of the U.S. Cement Industry," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(2), pages 277-297.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Peter C. Reiss, 1990. "Entry in Monopoly Market," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(4), pages 531-553.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "Estimation of Fuel Coefficients of Cement Production: A Fixed-Effects Approach to Nonlinear Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(4), pages 469-74, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.