A micro-econometric model of a short run cost function with unobserved heterogeneity
Unobserved plant level heterogeneity and discrete production processes can produce problems for estimation. A structural model of discrete production decisions by heterogeneous plants is constructed and, as a case study, estimated for the U.S. Portland cement industry. A new estimator is proposed to handle the discrete production process – for which the ordered probit is a special case. Data on firm survival and exit are used to adjust all input requirement coefficients for unobserved heterogeneity. The structural model is successfully estimated. Differences between many estimated coefficients and independent estimates from external sources are statistically insignificant.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995.
"Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data,"
Cahiers de recherche
9537, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert & Vanasse, Charles, 1998. "Inferring technological parameters from incomplete panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 303-327, September.
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995. "Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data," Cahiers de recherche 9537, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- McBride, Mark E, 1983. "Spatial Competition and Vertical Integration: Cement and Concrete Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1011-22, December.
- Charles A. Capone, Jr. & Kenneth G. Elzinga, 1987. "Technology and Energy Use Before, During, and After OPEC: The U.S. Portland Cement Industry," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 93-112.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Valerie A. Ramey, 1992.
"Output Fluctuations at the Plant Level,"
NBER Working Papers
4105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1992. "A Micro-econometric Model of Capital Utilization and Retirement: The Case of the U.S. Cement Industry," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1990. "Entry in Monopoly Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 531-53, October.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "Estimation of Fuel Coefficients of Cement Production: A Fixed-Effects Approach to Nonlinear Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(4), pages 469-74, October.
- David Prentice, 1998.
"A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity,"
1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- David Prentice, 1998. "A Micro-Economic Model of a Short Run Cost Function with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Working Papers 1998.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Prentice, David, 2000. "A micro-econometric model of a short run cost function with unobserved heterogeneity," MPRA Paper 28682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Lindenberg, Eric B & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Tobin's q Ratio and Industrial Organization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-32, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.