Total Factor Productivity in Indian Agriculture: Some Conceptual and Methodological Issues
The productivity growth in agriculture is both a necessary and sufficient condition for the development of the sector as well as the economy. This paper has reviewed the different methodologies of measuring the total factor productivity (TFP) and focused on some of the important issues such as the issues related to index numbers, price indexes, inflation, factor shares, value added vs. gross value of output, etc. related to measurement of TFP in agriculture. It also focuses on the determinants of TFP growth in agriculture and the trends in TFP growth in Indian agriculture.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atanu Sengupta & Subrata Kundu, 2008. "Factor Contribution and Productivity Growth in Underdeveloped Agriculture: A Study from Liberalised India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 43(2), pages 265-285, December.
- Praduman kumar & Anjani kumar & Surabhi Mittal, 2004. "Total Factor Productivity of Crop Sector in the Indo-Gangetic Plain of India: Sustainability issues revisited," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 169-201, January.
- Kumar, Praduman & Mittal, Surabhi & Hossain, Mahabub, 2008. "Agricultural Growth Accounting and Total Factor Productivity in South Asia: A Review and Policy Implications," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2), December.
- K.R. Shanmugam & Vidhya Soundararajan, 2008.
"Sources of Output Growth in Indian Agriculture during the Post-Reform Period,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22515, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- K.R. Shanmugam & Vidhya Soundararajan, 2008. "Sources Of Output Growth In Indian Agriculture During The Post-Reform Period," Working Papers 2008-026, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Coelli, T J, 1996. "Measurement of Total Factor Productivity Growth and Biases in Technological Change in Western Australian Agriculture," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 77-91, Jan.-Feb..
- K.P. Kalirajan & M.B. Obwona & S. Zhao, 1996. "A Decomposition of Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Agricultural Growth before and after Reforms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 331-338.
- Laurits R. Christensen, 1975. "Concepts and Measurement of Agricultural Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 57(5), pages 910-915.
- V. Eldon Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Richard Nehring & Agapi Somwaru, 1997. "Agricultural Productivity Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1045-1063.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.