Evidencia De Comportamiento Caótico En Indices Bursátiles Americanos
[Evidence Of Chaotic Behavior In American Stock Markets]
This article validates the chaotic behavior in the Argentinean, Brazilian, Canadian, Chilean, American, Peruvian and Mexican Stock Markets using the MERVAL, BOVESPA, S&P TSX COMPOSITE, IPSA, IGPA, S&P 500, DOW JONES INDUSTRIALS, NASDAQ, IGBVL and IPC Stock Indexes respectively. The results of different techniques and methods like: Graphic Analysis, Recurrence Analysis, Temporal Space Entropy, Hurst Coefficient, Lyapunov Exponential and Correlation Dimension support the hypothesis that the stock markets behave in a chaotic way and rejected the hypothesis of randomness. Our conclusion validates the use of prediction techniques in those stock markets. It’s remarkable the result of the Hurst Coefficient Technique, that in average was of 0,75 for the indexes of this study which would justify the use of ARFIMA models among others for the prediction of such series.
|Date of creation:||20 Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:||30 Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Los, Cornelis A. & Yu, Bing, 2008.
"Persistence characteristics of the Chinese stock markets,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 64-82.
- Cornelis A. Los & Bing Yu, 2005. "Persistence Characteristics of the Chinese Stock Markets," Finance 0508008, EconWPA.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cornelis A. Los, 2000. "Visualization of Chaos for Finance Majors," School of Economics Working Papers 2000-07, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Kyaw, NyoNyo A. & Los, Cornelis A. & Zong, Sijing, 2006. "Persistence characteristics of Latin American financial markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 269-290, July.
- Sijing Zong & Cornelis A. Los & Nyonyo Kyaw, 2004. "Persistence Characteristics of Latin American Financial Markets," Finance 0411013, EconWPA.
- Nyo Nyo A. Kyaw & Cornelis A. Los & Sijing Zong, 2004. "Persistence Characteristics of Latin American Financial Markets," Finance 0409048, EconWPA.
- Lo, Andrew W, 1991. "Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1279-1313, September.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan), 1989. "Long-term memory in stock market prices," Working papers 3014-89., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989. "Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RSSTATISTIC: RATS procedure to compute R/S Statistic (classical or Lo's modified)," Statistical Software Components RTS00191, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gilmore, Claire G., 1993. "A new test for chaos," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 209-237, October.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Brock, W.A. & Dechert, W.D. & LeBaron, B. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1995. "A Test for Independence Based on the Correlation Dimension," Working papers 9520, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Conrad, Jennifer & Kaul, Gautam, 1988. "Time-Variation in Expected Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 409-425, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Conrad, Jennifer & Kaul, Gautam, 1989. "Mean Reversion in Short-Horizon Expected Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 225-240. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2794. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.