Effect of Transaction Costs on Seller Decisions among Small-Holder Cassava Farmers in South-Eastern Nigeria
A linear probability model (LPM) analysis of seller decisions selling cassava on-farm (farm-gate) or off-farm (market) was derived and estimated consistent with a sample 216 farm households. Variables of proportional transaction costs have different effects on off-farm and on-farm market participation decisions. The seller type decision revealed that coefficients for have a personal means of transport, road conditions to the nearest town and marketing experience were positive and significantly related to increase in off-farm cassava sellers at 5% level of probability. The coefficient for distance from the house to the farm was negatively and significantly related to increase in farmers selling off-farm at 1% level of probability. The coefficients for crop transportation costs, distance to the nearest town, distance from the house to the farm and yield were negative and significant at 5% level of probability. These decisions to participate as an off-farm or on-farm seller were as a result of proportional transaction costs associated with participating in the market. It was found that unexpected transaction costs inhibit farm households from selling off-farm. The results therefore calls for policies aimed at infrastructural development especially on roads and establishment of bulking centers to mitigate transportation costs.
|Date of creation:||10 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2005.
"Selling at the Farmgate or Traveling to Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 717-734.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2004. "Selling at the farm-gate or travelling to market," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004. "Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1989.
"How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
163, The World Bank.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1993. "How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 337-366, August.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.