Apertura y Productividad Total de los Factores: Análisis de la contemporaneidad en los quiebres estructurales para América Latina y el Caribe
[Openness and Total Factor Productivity: Test of Temporal Coincidence of the Structural Breaks for Latin America and the Caribbean]
We study the existence of structural break in TFP and in several indicators of openness for a sample of 20 Latin American and Caribbean economies for the period 1960-2005. For this purpose, it has been used the test of Zivot and Andrews (1992) on series of TFP computed from a development accounting exercise (Hsieh and Klenow, 2010) and alternative measures of openness with different characters: openness policies, openness as result, and measure of deviation (Wacziarg, 2001). The accumulation of cases, both potential and significant breaks in TFP are in line with the Oil Crisis of 1973/4 and 1979/80, and the Mexican Crisis of 1982. The cases of breaks on TFP during the consolidation process of openness in the region (1985-95) are not significant. Shocks in openness seem to have effects on the rate of growth of TFP
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dierk Herzer, 2005. "Does Trade Increase Total Factor Productivity: Cointegration Evidence for Chile," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 115, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- By Gunnar Jonsson & Arvind Subramanian, 2001.
"Dynamic Gains from Trade: Evidence from South Africa,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 8.
- Arvind Subramanian & Gunnar Jonsson, 2000. "Dynamic Gains From Trade; Evidence From South Africa," IMF Working Papers 00/45, International Monetary Fund.
- McGrattan, Ellen R. & Schmitz, James Jr., 1999.
"Explaining cross-country income differences,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 669-737
- Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2004.
"Openness and Human Capital as Sources of Productivity Growth: An Empirical Investigation,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Måns Söderbom & Francis Teal, 2003. "Openness and human capital as sources of productivity growth: An empirical investigation," CSAE Working Paper Series 2003-06, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Benjamin Nancy & Michael Ferrantino, 2001. "Trade Policy and Productivity Growth in OECD Manufacturing," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 95-115.
- Peter Klenow & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 1997. "The Neoclassical Revival in Growth Economics: Has It Gone Too Far?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 73-114 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sen, Amit, 2003. "On Unit-Root Tests When the Alternative Is a Trend-Break Stationary Process," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(1), pages 174-84, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Juan S. Blyde & Indermit S. Gill & Alexander Monge Naranjo & Pablo A. Neumeyer & Carlos G. Fernández Valdovinos & Armando Castelar Pinheiro & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Hugo A. Hop, 2005. "Sources of Growth in Latin America: What Is Missing?," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 33798 edited by Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Juan S. Blyde & Rodolfo E. Manuelli.
- Pedro Cavalcanti Ferreira & Alberto Trejos, 2006. "Measuring the TFP Costs of Barriers to Trade," 2006 Meeting Papers 644, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- repec:idb:brikps:33798 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.