Bank level stability factors and consumer confidence – a comparative study of Islamic and conventional banks’ product mix
This study examines the behaviour of key bank level stability factors of liquidity, capital, risk-taking and consumer confidence in Islamic and conventional banks which operate in the same market. Using fixed effect sample of 194 banks of Gulf Cooperating Countries between 2000 and 2007, we found that liquidity is not determined by bank’s product mix but rather attributed to systematic factors. However, non performing assets (representing loans to sub prime borrowers) have positive and significant relationship with liquidity implying that during the crisis, Islamic banks tend to take stringent risk strategies compared to conventional banks. Furthermore, Islamic banks generally tend to provide higher consumer confidence levels as they were more capitalized than conventional banks, although conventional banks had carried higher averages of liquidity compared to Islamic banks. Consumer confidence levels or depositors’ discipline as proxied by deposits and customer funding over liabilities generally appear to be higher in Islamic banks than conventional banks.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blum, Jurg, 1999. "Do capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 755-771, May.
- David A. Marshall & Edward S. Prescott, 2000.
"Bank capital regulation with and without state-contingent penalties,"
Working Paper Series
WP-00-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marshall, David A. & Prescott, Edward Simpson, 2001. "Bank capital regulation with and without state-contingent penalties," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 139-184, June.
- Pyle, David H, 1971. "On the Theory of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 737-47, June.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuri Nagataki Sasaki, 1998.
"Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior,"
Discussion Paper Series
a356, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ito, Takatoshi & Sasaki, Yuri Nagataki, 2002. "Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 372-397, September.
- Takatoshi Ito & Yuri Nagatake Sasaki, 1998. "Impacts of the Basle Capital Standard on Japanese Banks' Behavior," NBER Working Papers 6730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Luca Errico & Mitra Farahbaksh, 1998. "Islamic Banking; Issues in Prudential Regulations and Supervision," IMF Working Papers 98/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Abbas Mirakhor & Mohsin S. Khan, 1991. "Islamic Banking," IMF Working Papers 91/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Andreas Jobst, 2007. "The Economics of Islamic Finance and Securitization," IMF Working Papers 07/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2007. "Cooperative Banks and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 07/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Simon Wolfe & Klaus Schaeck, 2006. "Are More Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," IMF Working Papers 06/143, International Monetary Fund.
- El-Hawary & Dahlia & Grais, Wafik & Iqbal, Zamir, 2004. "Regulating islamic financial institutions : The nature of the regulated," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3227, The World Bank.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1992. "Capital requirements and the behaviour of commercial banks," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1137-1170, June.
- Hart, Oliver D & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1974. "On the Application of Portfolio Theory to Depository Financial Intermediaries," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 129-47, January.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-33, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21800. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.