The Dynamic of Technological Capabilities of Countries: A Dual Approach Using Composite Indicators & Data Envelopment Analysis
One of the main characteristics of the technological capabilities of countries has always been their uneven distribution across the countries. This paper explores the dynamic of technological capabilities for a sample of 42 countries over the period 1995-2007 introducing some methodological novelties. The results suggest that a process of convergence of technological capabilities has occurred to some extent. However, this has not been complete as some countries are still unable to reach a balanced growth in the different components of technological capabilities. We conclude by arguing that the production of technology can no longer be considered a privilege of a few advanced countries. This is going to bear consequences in the global arena in terms of trade, international division of labour and technological specialization
|Date of creation:||24 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2004.
"Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesizing Social Inclusion Performance in the EU,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(5), pages 919-955, December.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2003. "Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesising Social Inclusion Performance in the EU," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0301, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pianta, Mario, 1995. "Technology and Growth in OECD Countries, 1970-1990," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 175-87, February.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin & Knell, Mark, 2007. "The Competitiveness of Nations: Why Some Countries Prosper While Others Fall Behind," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1595-1620, October.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories,"
27595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 301-314, December.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
CEIS Research Paper
44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," SPRU Working Paper Series 111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Jan Fagerberg & Manuel Godinho, 2003. "Innovation and catching-up," Working Papers 24, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Schmookler, Jacob, 1962. "Economic Sources of Inventive Activity," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 1-20, March.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Figueiredo, Paulo N., 2008. "Industrial Policy Changes and Firm-Level Technological Capability Development: Evidence from Northern Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 55-88, January.
- Gregory Tassey, 2008. "Globalization of technology-based growth: the policy imperative," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(6), pages 560-578, December.
- Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2001.
"Technology-Gaps, Innovation-Diffusion And Transformation: An Evolutionary Interpretation,"
11, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Verspagen, Bart, 2002. "Technology-gaps, innovation-diffusion and transformation: an evolutionary interpretation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1291-1304, December.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Archibugi, Daniele, 2008.
"The technology clubs: The distribution of knowledge across nations,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1659-1673, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "The technology clubs: the distribution of knowledge across nations," MPRA Paper 27597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grupp, Hariolf & Mogee, Mary Ellen, 2004. "Indicators for national science and technology policy: how robust are composite indicators?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1373-1384, November.
- Grupp, Hariolf & Schubert, Torben, 2010. "Review and new evidence on composite innovation indicators for evaluating national performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 67-78, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21629. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.