Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesising Social Inclusion Performance in the EU
The Open Method of Coordination (OMC) intends to enhance EU member states' performance with regard to social inclusion. In this context a set of commonly agreed performance indicators plays an important role. While the communicative power of a synthetic indicator has been recognised, several objections have been raised against such a construction. In this paper, we argue that a set of separate indicators can in principle be combined into one synthetic performance index without giving up on the notion of subsidiarity, and without fundamentally impairing the peer pressure incentives that constitute an important rationale for OMC. We complement the presentation of the conceptual framework with a number of empirical applications, thereby indicating how the basic method may be instrumental for policy benchmarking practice.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published (revised version) in Journal of Common Market Studies|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32-(0)16-32 67 25
Fax: +32-(0)16-32 67 96
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.ac.be/ew/academic/econover/default.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tony Atkinson, 2002. "Social Inclusion and the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 625-643, November.
- Hills John, 2002. "Comprehensibility and Balance: The Case for Putting Indicators in Baskets," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 95-98.
- Laurens Cherchye, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 407-416.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Others 0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Brandolini Andrea, 2002. "Education and Employment Indicators for the EU Social Agenda," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 55-62.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Gouyette, Claudine & Pestieau, Pierre, 1999.
"Efficiency of the Welfare State,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 537-53.
- Giammusso Federico & Tangorra Raffaele, 2002. "Indicators on Poverty and Social Exclusion: Moving Toward a Social Europe?," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 29-48.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpe:papers:ces0301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristof Bosmans)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.