Legitimately Diverse, yet Comparable: On Synthesizing Social Inclusion Performance in the EU
The open method of co-ordination (OMC) intends to enhance EU Member States'performance on social inclusion. In this context a set of commonly agreed performance indicators plays an important role. While the communicative power of a synthetic indicator has been recognized, several objections have been raised against such a construction. In this article, we argue that a set of separate indicators can in principle be combined into a meaningful synthetic performance index without giving up on the notion of subsidiarity, and without fundamentally impairing the peer pressure incentives that constitute an important rationale for OMC. We complement the presentation of the conceptual framework with a number of empirical applications, thereby indicating how the basic method may be instrumental for policy benchmarking practice. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 42 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-9886|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0021-9886|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giammusso Federico & Tangorra Raffaele, 2002. "Indicators on Poverty and Social Exclusion: Moving Toward a Social Europe?," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 29-48.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Hills John, 2002. "Comprehensibility and Balance: The Case for Putting Indicators in Baskets," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 95-98.
- GOUYETTE, Claudine & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Efficiency of the welfare state,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1427, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494, March.
- Tony Atkinson, 2002. "Social Inclusion and the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 625-643, November.
- Laurens Cherchye, 2001. "Using data envelopment analysis to assess macroeconomic policy performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 407-416.
- Brandolini Andrea, 2002. "Education and Employment Indicators for the EU Social Agenda," Politica economica - Journal of Economic Policy (PEJEP), Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 55-62.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Others 0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jcmkts:v:42:y:2004:i:5:p:919-955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.