Comparative performance of UK mutual building societies and stock retail banks: further evidence: a comment
Shiwakoti et al. (2008) concluded that four of the largest UK mutual societies which converted to listed bank status in 1997 outperformed, on a variety of measures, those societies which did not convert in the four-year periods both before and after conversion. All four converting societies have since been subject to ownership change, suggesting that this out-performance failed to persist, or was perhaps illusory. We do not criticise the results obtained by the authors, but suggest that they leave unanswered important questions, such as how to measure ‘superior’ performance and the appropriate time frame over which to evaluate this.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valnek, Tomas, 1999. "The comparative performance of mutual building societies and stock retail banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 925-938, June.
- Radha K. Shiwakoti & John K. Ashton & Kevin Keasey, 2004. "Conversion, Performance and Executive Compensation in UK Building Societies," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 361-370, 07.
- Thompson, Steve, 1997. "Takeover activity among financial mutuals: An analysis of target characteristics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-53, January.
- Catherine Schrand & Haluk Unal, 1998. "Hedging and Coordinated Risk Management: Evidence from Thrift Conversions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 979-1013, 06.
- Radha K. Shiwakoti & Kevin Keasey & Robert Hudson, 2008. "Comparative performance of UK mutual building societies and stock retail banks: further evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 48(2), pages 319-336.
- Haynes, Michelle & Thompson, Steve, 1999. "The productivity effects of bank mergers: Evidence from the UK building societies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 825-846, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.