Dynamic inter-relationship between trade, economic growth and tourism in Malaysia
This study aims to test a hypothesis that postulate a positive inter-relationship between international flows of tourist, trade and economic growth. Although tourism is one of the major components in the trade of services, and it has been certified by large number of literatures on the strong correlation between tourism industry and economic development, yet not much is known on the dynamic inter-relationship between these three variables. Closing-up this gaping hole, this study employs the cointegration tests under autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) structure to investigate a dynamic inter-relationship between economic development, total trade (import and export) and number of tourist arrival for Malaysia and her major tourism partners ((ASEAN countries) . The estimated result based on the long run time series behavior for number of tourist arrival, volume of total trade and economic development’s indicator shows that these three variables are moved in tandem. Interestingly, in the analysis of short run behavior, we find that number of tourist arrival has significantly Granger caused total trade flows at least for some countries. At the same time, in the short-run, we find that both growth in total trade (export and import) and international tourists’ arrival to Malaysia have uni-directionally Granger caused real income growth and there is statistical evidence for international trade to lead tourist arrival.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2007.
"The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine,"
57033, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Christian Fischer & Luis Gil-Alana, 2009. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(11), pages 1345-1359.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The nature of the relationship between international tourism and international trade: the case of German imports of Spanish wine," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10049, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fischer, Christian & Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2006. "The Nature of the Relationship between International Tourism and International Trade: The Case of German Imports of Spanish Wine," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25341, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- N. Kulendran & Kenneth Wilson, 2000. "Is there a relationship between international trade and international travel?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 1001-1009.
- Salih Katircioglu, 2009. "Tourism, trade and growth: the case of Cyprus," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(21), pages 2741-2750.
- Jordan Shan & Ken Wilson, 2001. "Causality between trade and tourism: empirical evidence from China," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 279-283.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jorda, 2002.
"Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: the Spanish case,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 877-884.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jordá, 2000. "Tourism As A Long-Run Economic Growth Factor: The Spanish Case," Working Papers. Serie EC 2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2001. "Productivity Performance and Export Performance: A Time-Series Perspective," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 27(2), pages 149-164, Spring.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:21056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.