Locational Drivers of FDI in MENA Countries: A Spatial Attempt
This study aims to analyze the locational drivers of FDI, with an emphasis on the role of market potential in MENA countries. Considering that the market does not necessarily comprise of the host economy but also trade opportunities in the region and in the rest of the world, this study distinguishes the country-specific, regional and trade-related market potential of the host MENA country in attracting FDI. It also examines the neighboring effects in locational choice. Using a panel of 18 countries covering the 1980-2001 time period, the model is estimated by Maximum Likelihood estimation method incorporating the possible spatial autocorrelation in the disturbances. The results imply that FDI in the MENA region is market oriented; as well as aiming at the domesic market in the host economy, it also utilises trade opportunities within the region.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crozet, M. & Mayer, T. & Micchielli, J.L., 2000.
"How Do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France?,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
2000.50, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in France," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 27-54, January.
- Matthieu Crozet & Thierry Mayer & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 2004. "How do firms agglomerate? A study of FDI in france," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Mayer, Thierry & Mucchielli, Jean-Louis, 2003. "How do Firms Agglomerate? A Study of FDI in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3873, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998.
"Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration,"
NBER Working Papers
6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005. "Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Hanson, G.H., 1999. "`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," Working Papers 439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Samir Makdisi,Zeki Fattah and Imed Limam, . "Determinants of Growth in the Mena Countries," API-Working Paper Series 0301, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Brenton, Paul & DiMauro, Francesca & Lücke, Matthias, 1998.
"Economic integration and FDI: an empirical analysis of foreign investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Kiel Working Papers
890, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro & Matthias LÃ¼cke, 1999. "Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000.
"Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Spatial Econometric Study,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-23, 01.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in China: a spatial econometric study," Working Papers 1999-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry, 2002.
"Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004. "Market Potential and the Location of Japanese Investment in the European Union," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 959-972, November.
- Kai Carstensen & Farid Toubal, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries: A Dynamic Panel Analysis,"
Kiel Working Papers
1143, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: a dynamic panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-22, March.
- Carstensen, Kai & Toubal, Farid, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Central and Eastern European countries: A dynamic panel analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 19965, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1992. "A Dynamic Spatial Model," NBER Working Papers 4219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & SEKKAT, 2004.
"Trade and Foreign Exchange Liberalization,Investment Climate, and FDI in the MENA Countries,"
- Khalid Sekkat & Marie-Ange Veganzones, 2004. "Trade and foreign exchange liberalization, investment climate and FDI in the MENA countries," Working Papers CEB 04-023.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Kokta, Robert M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2003. "Foreign direct investment in Europe: Is there redirection from the South to the East?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Cieslik, Andrzej & Ryan, Michael, 2004. "Explaining Japanese direct investment flows into an enlarged Europe: A comparison of gravity and economic potential approaches," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 12-37, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.