The effect of instıtutıonal varıables on fdi inflows: Evidence from upper-middle income countries
For two decades, the relationship between institutions and foreign direct investment (FDI) has been receiving a growing attention as a result of increasing economic globalization and international trade promoting democracy all over the world. In this paper, we investigate the impact of institutional variables, social, economic and political, on foreign direct investment inflows into 54 upper-middle income developing countries applying panel data regressions for the period 1995-2011. The findings suggest that the institutional variables have significant effect on FDI inflows but their impact is weaker than macoreconomic variables. Especially, the market size indicators, population growth rate, global competitiveness and international country risk play a major role in attracting FDI.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Črt Kostevc & Tjaša Redek & Andrej Sušjan, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Institutional Environment in Transition Economies," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 40-54, May.
- Barro, Robert J, 1996. " Democracy and Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Hisarciklilar, Mehtap & Kayam, Saime Suna & Kayalica, Ozgur, 2006. "Locational Drivers of FDI in MENA Countries: A Spatial Attempt," MPRA Paper 2085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2005.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(5), pages 949-995, October.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Daniele, Vittorio & Marani, Ugo, 2006. "Do institutions matter for FDI? A comparative analysis for the MENA countries," MPRA Paper 2426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elizabeth Asiedu, 2006. "Foreign Direct Investment in Africa: The Role of Natural Resources, Market Size, Government Policy, Institutions and Political Instability," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 63-77, 01.
- Kayam, Saime Suna, 2009. "Home market determinants of FDI outflows from developing and transition economies," MPRA Paper 16781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clarke, George, 2001. "How the quality of institutions affects technological deepening in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2603, The World Bank.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul & Meyer, Klaus, 2004. "Foreign investment location and institutional development in transition economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37531. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.