Analytical Approximations for the Critical Stock Prices of American Options: A Performance Comparison
Many e±cient and accurate analytical methods for pricing American options now exist. However, while they can produce accurate option prices, they often do not give accurate critical stock prices. In this paper, we propose two new analytical approximations for American options based on the quadratic approximation. We compare our methods with existing analytical methods including the quadratic approximations in Barone-Adesi and Whaley (1987) and Barone-Adesi and Elliott (1991), the lower bound approximation in Broadie and Detemple (1996), the tangent approximation in Bunch and Johnson (2000), the Laplace inversion method in Zhu (2006b), and the interpolation method in Li (2008). Both of our methods give much more accurate critical stock prices than all the existing methods above.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Song-Ping Zhu, 2006. "An exact and explicit solution for the valuation of American put options," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 229-242.
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar, 1993. "Closed-form approximation of American options," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(Supplemen), pages 87-99.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992.
"Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 2008. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 5, pages 85-103 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-1524, December.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-1250.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973.
"Theory of Rational Option Pricing,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Li, Minqiang, 2008. "Approximate inversion of the Black-Scholes formula using rational functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(2), pages 743-759, March.
- Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti G & Yu, G George, 1996. "Pricing and Hedging American Options: A Recursive Integration Method," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 277-300.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni, 2005. "The saga of the American put," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2909-2918, November.
- Ju, Nengjiu, 1998. "Pricing an American Option by Approximating Its Early Exercise Boundary as a Multipiece Exponential Function," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 627-646.
- Pressacco, Flavio & Gaudenzi, Marcellino & Zanette, Antonino & Ziani, Laura, 2008. "New insights on testing the efficiency of methods of pricing and hedging American options," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 235-254, February.
- Johnson, H. E., 1983. "An Analytic Approximation for the American Put Price," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 141-148, March.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Sullivan, Michael A, 2000. "Valuing American Put Options Using Gaussian Quadrature," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 75-94.
- Khaliq, A.Q.M. & Voss, D.A. & Kazmi, S.H.K., 2006. "A linearly implicit predictor-corrector scheme for pricing American options using a penalty method approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 489-502, February.
- J. D. Evans & R. Kuske & Joseph B. Keller, 2002. "American options on assets with dividends near expiry," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 219-237.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- David S. Bunch & Herb Johnson, 2000. "The American Put Option and Its Critical Stock Price," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2333-2356, October.
- Carr, Peter, 1998. "Randomization and the American Put," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 597-626.
- Siim Kallast & Andi Kivinukk, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging American Options Using Approximations by Kim Integral Equations," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 361-383.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.