Livlihood Diversification and Opinion Polls’ Analysis: Evidence From Tharparkar-Sindh (Pakistan)
In this paper attempt has been made: (i) to analyse the opinion poll of Tharis about livilihood and its diversifaction, (ii) to identify the livlihood available resources and attitute of Tharis to these resources. Poll question’s answers are analysed accordingly to draw conclusion from this analysis. Study reveals that Tharis have interest in agriclture especially livestock being their main source of livelihood and crops are failed due to shortage of rain fall. Sheep and Goats are the main growing livestock of Thar and Tharis love to rear these cashable livestocks with intrest because it is easily saleable. Thus it is the sustainable source of income for them. In Thar District the agriculture can be linked to rain falls only. Attitude of Tharis indicates that some of them are ready to divert from conventional agricultural work to other income generating businesses. Therefore, there is a need to create awareness about new opportunities within their district.
|Date of creation:||20 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Indus Journal of Management & Social Sciences 3(1) (2009): pp. 64-80|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1995.
"Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1995-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Stefan Dercon & Pramila Krishnan, 1995. "Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1995-12, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gobind M. Herani & Pervez Wasim & Allah Wasayo Rajar & Riaz Ahmed Shaikh, 2008.
"The Nature of Poverty and Its Prospects: Pakistan Evidence,"
Journal of Global Economy,
Research Centre for Social Sciences,Mumbai, India, vol. 4(3), pages 184-195, September.
- Herani, Gobind M. & Wasim, Pervez & Rajar, Allah Wasayo & Shaikh, Riaz Ahmed, 2008. "The Nature of Poverty and Its Prospects: Pakistan Evidence," MPRA Paper 11615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herani, Gobind M & Rajar, Allah Wasayo & Wasim, Mohammad Pervez & Shaikh, Riaz Ahmed, 2008. "The Nature of Poverty and Its Prospects: Pakistan Evidence," MPRA Paper 11654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Using evidence of household income diversification to inform study of the rural nonfarm labor market in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 735-747, May.
- Herani, Gobind & Rajar, Allah Wasayo & Khaskheli, Muhammad Ali, 2007.
"Reforming farmland and rangeland in Tharparkar: Suggested implementations for income generation,"
5542, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gobind M. Herani & Allah Wasayo Rajar & Muhammad Ali, 2007. "Reforming Farmland and Rangeland at Tharparkar: Suggested Implementations for Income Generation," Indus Journal of Management & Social Science (IJMSS), Department of Business Administration, vol. 1(1), pages 14-32, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.