Stock Prices and Exchange Rate Interactions in Nigeria: An Intra-Global Financial Crisis Maiden Investigation
This paper examined the long run and short run interactions between stock prices and exchange rate in Nigeria based on a sample from 1st February, 2001 to 31st December, 2008. Three models were derived from the sample, albeit pre-crisis, crisis and basic models. The paper set out by testing the time series properties of the series using the ADF and PP tests. In addition, the Engle and Granger two-step and Johansen and Juselius cointegration procedures were applied. Empirical results showed that all the series are I(1) and evidence of cointegration was established using the Johansen and Juselius methodology. Furthermore, causality tests revealed strong evidence of long run bidirectional relationship between stock prices and exchange rate in the models. Policy wise, the findings implied that monetary authorities in Nigeria are not constrained to take into account stock market development in achieving their exchange rate policy objective given the symbiotic nature of relationship between the two. The paper recommends measures that would promote greater stability and efficiency of the Nigeria’s foreign exchange market
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:||09 Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovannini, Alberto & Jorion, Philippe, 1987. "Interest rates and risk premia in the stock market and in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 107-123, March.
- Solnik, Bruno, 1987. " Using Financial Prices to Test Exchange Rate Models: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 141-49, March.
- Kim, Ki-ho, 2003. "Dollar exchange rate and stock price: evidence from multivariate cointegration and error correction model," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 301-313.
- Issam Abdalla & Victor Murinde, 1997. "Exchange rate and stock price interactions in emerging financial markets: evidence on India, Korea, Pakistan and the Philippines," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 25-35.
- Stavarek, Daniel, 2004. "Stock Prices and Exchange Rates in the EU and the USA: Evidence of their Mutual Interactions," MPRA Paper 7297, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.