Modelo de valoración de clubes de fútbol basado en los factores clave de su negocio
[Valuation model for football clubs based on the key factors of their business]
I have designed a valuation method adjusted to the specific characteristics of Spanish professional soccer clubs under the hypothesis that clubs behave financially reasonably. I analyse the factors that define the context where soccer business takes place. I have built a conceptual model that links support, squad quality (proxy by financial criteria), sports results, revenues, investment and socio-economic variables with cash flows, from wich. I obtain the club value. The work is structured in three sections. The first one is a historic and strategic analysis of the sector. The second one deals with the study of the essential factors for value creation in football and the las one shows the valuation methos based on the discounted cash-flow model, using the estimated free cash-flow claculated according to the relationships reached in the previous chapters. I have checked the existence of a high tange of beta value in function of the period of time used on their calculation. So, I propose the use of qualitative betas that gather aspects linked to business risk, financial structure and the characteristics of the managerial team. Afterwards, I determine the weighted average cost of capital and, with it, reach the value of a benchmark club. Finally, I show the viability of the model, not only for valuation, but also in order to manage professional football clubs to create value for shareholders.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Baimbridge, 1997. "Match attendance at Euro 96: was the crowd waving or drowning?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(9), pages 555-558.
- Bill Gerrard & Steve Dobson, 2000. "Testing for monopoly rents in the market for playing talent – Evidence from English professional football," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 142-164, September.
- Haan, Marco & Koning, Ruud H. & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2002.
"Market forces in European soccer,"
CCSO Working Papers
200211, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Falter, J.-M. & Perignon, C., 2000.
"Demand for Football and Intra-Match Winning Probability: an Essay on the Glorious Uncertainty of Sports,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
2000.15, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Jean-Marc Falter & Christophe Perignon, 2000. "Demand for football and intramatch winning probability: an essay on the glorious uncertainty of sports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1757-1765.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Eberhard Feess & Frank Stähler, 2009. "Revenue Sharing In Professional Sports Leagues," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(2), pages 255-265, 05.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Feess, Eberhard & Muehlheusser, Gerd, 2003.
"Transfer fee regulations in European football,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 645-668, August.
- Roger Noll, 2002. "The Economics of Promotion and Relegation in Sports Leagues: The Cases of English Football," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 3(2), pages 169-203, May.
- Su-Jane Hsieh & Scott I. Jerris & William Kross, 1999. "Quarterly Earnings Announcements and Market Risk Adjustments," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3-4), pages 313-336.
- Sloane, Peter J, 1971. "The Economics of Professional Football: The Football Club as a Utility Maximiser," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 18(2), pages 121-46, June.
- Stephen Dobson & John Goddard, 2004. "Revenue Divergence And Competitive Balance In A Divisional Sports League," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(3), pages 359-376, 08.
- Dawson, Peter & Dobson, Stephen & Gerrard, Bill, 2000. "Estimating Coaching Efficiency in Professional Team Sports: Evidence from English Association Football," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(4), pages 399-421, September.
- Jaume Garcia & Placido Rodriguez, 2002. "The Determinants of Football Match Attendance Revisited: Empirical Evidence from the Spanish Football League," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 3(1), pages 18-38, February.
- Antonio Marques, 2002. "Competitive Balance in the Portuguese premier league of professional soccer," Industrial Organization 0211025, EconWPA.
- Kothari, S P & Shanken, Jay & Sloan, Richard G, 1995. " Another Look at the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 185-224, March.
- Stephen Dobson & Bill Gerrard & Simon Howe, 2000. "The determination of transfer fees in English nonleague football," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 1145-1152.
- Pablo Fernández, 2007.
"Valuing companies by cash flow discounting: ten methods and nine theories,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(11), pages 853-876.
- Fernández , Pablo, 2002. "Valuing companies by cash flow discounting: Ten methods and nine theories," IESE Research Papers D/451, IESE Business School.
- Scully, Gerald W, 1974. "Pay and Performance in Major League Baseball," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 915-30, December.
- Frederic Palomino, 2000. "Competitive Balance vs. Incentives to Win: A Theoretical Analysis of Revenue Sharing," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0930, Econometric Society.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Vanbrabant, P., 2000. "Share Price Reactions to Sporty Performances of Soccer Clubs listed on the London Stock Exchange and the AIM," Discussion Paper 2000-19, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Seung-Hoon Yoo, 2001. "A robust estimation of hedonic price models: least absolute deviations estimation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 55-58.
- Roger Buckland & Patricia Fraser, 2001. "Political and Regulatory Risk in Water Utilities: Beta Sensitivity in the United Kingdom," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(7&8), pages 877-904.
- Palomino, F.A. & Sakovics, J., 2000.
"Revenue Sharing in Professional Sports Leagues : For the Sake of Competitive Balance or as a Result of Monopsony Power?,"
2000-110, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Frederic Palomino & Jozsef Sakovics, 2000. "Revenue sharing in professional sports leagues: for the sake of competitive balance or as a result of monopsony power?," ESE Discussion Papers 59, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Alejandro Gaviria, 2000. "Is soccer dying? A time series approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 275-278.
- repec:fth:geneec:00.04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Angelo Cocco & J. C. H. Jones, 1997. "On going south: the economics of survival and relocation of small market NHL franchises in Canada," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1537-1552.
- Boulier, Bryan L. & Stekler, H. O., 2003. "Predicting the outcomes of National Football League games," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 257-270.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.