Competitive Balance in the Portuguese premier league of professional soccer
Paper is under revision, pdf is not available. Competitive balance is what makes the sport becoming an attractive event. Contrary to other industries, a reduction in competition and a hypothetically dominant position could mean the end of the championship. If there is only one team, the criterion for league cannot be met. In this paper we consider the advantage of the team that plays at home and, using an ordered probit model, the strength for all teams is estimated. At the same time, is made an evaluation on the evolution of the competitive balance in the Portuguese premier league of professional soccer. The conclusions point that this balance has increased, but also the difference between the best team and the worst one.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruud H. Koning, 1999. "Competitive Balance in Dutch Soccer," Industrial Organization 9905001, EconWPA.
- Haan, Marco & Koning, Ruud H. & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2002.
"Market forces in European soccer,"
CCSO Working Papers
200211, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Haan, Marco & Koning, Ruud H. & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2002. "Market forces in European soccer," Research Report 02F18, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- repec:dgr:rugccs:200211 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:rugsom:02f18 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:0211025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.